Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teens moving out?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM
  • 58 Replies

My teens will be 18 soon, one this year, and one next year, both will still be in HS. Both are always talking about moving out and renting an apartment with their friends. I think this is a bad idea and have tried to explain that to them but I don't think they understand. 

I moved out when I was 18, granted I finished HS when I was 17, but I was a freshman in college. It was a bad move for me. I went to school all day and worked all night. I never got enough sleep and my roommate and I were always broke. We never had food, my cell phone was always shut off, and we struggled to pay rent and electric even though we both worked full time. As it is now, they have it pretty sweet. DH and I have given them iphones, laptops, flat screen tv's, their own game systems, and other various things. The only thing required of them is to help with chores. 

Neither has ever had a real job (both have done odd jobs here and there) and have never had to worry about paying bills. How do I explain to them how hard it is to be responsible for their own food, clothes, cell phone bill, cable, internet, car payment, car insurance, rent, electric and gas? I tried but they were just like, eh, we can handle it.  

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Bumping for help.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:53 PM

BUMP!

KGreen75
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I moved out 2 months after I graduated high school. Never looked back, never regretted it. Best choice ever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Unfortunately there is no way for them to get it until it happens to them.
Maybe you can have them start paying YOU rent...a small amount and help with utilities so they can see how much money it will REALLY take to live on their own

imakehimscream
by He screams on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM
My dd isn't moving out at all
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Maybe your situation is different? I had a good home life, as do they, so there is no real reason to move out besides that they think it would be awesome to live with friends.

Quoting KGreen75:

I moved out 2 months after I graduated high school. Never looked back, never regretted it. Best choice ever.

Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I can try this. It probably won't be well received though.

Quoting kelly617:

Unfortunately there is no way for them to get it until it happens to them.
Maybe you can have them start paying YOU rent...a small amount and help with utilities so they can see how much money it will REALLY take to live on their own

KGreen75
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Eh it was ok. Not terrible. I moved in with my boyfriend.

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Maybe your situation is different? I had a good home life, as do they, so there is no real reason to move out besides that they think it would be awesome to live with friends.

Quoting KGreen75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Why not? I wish this was the case. I am having extreme anxiety about them leaving the nest. I am not ready for an empty nest! :(

Quoting imakehimscream:

imakehimscream
by He screams on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Well she is only two but I want her to live with me forever. Well until I die

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

Why not? I wish this was the case. I am having extreme anxiety about them leaving the nest. I am not ready for an empty nest! :(

Quoting imakehimscream:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)