Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

3rd Grade math homework....LATTICE METHOD *update*

Posted by   + Show Post

LATTICE METHOD

for multiplication

Just to clear some things up:

*Yes, this was ' fuckery ' at first

*No, I'm not opposed to new methods of learning

*Yes, I understand it now

Are your children learning this in school? Do they understand it? Or are they using other methods instead?

HERE'S THE HOW TO BELOW

Lattice method starts at about :43

****UPDATE****   Well since this got commented on again, I'll just go ahead and update it and say that BOTH of my dds are doing GREAT with this method. They are much better with lattice versus partial products, which is another one they are being taught.

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Replies (611-615):
aj_mom
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Seems like more work and more time consuming to me.

SueMNanaMama
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Just give me a flippin calculator. Seriously.

monicas3w
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM
YUP totally confusing. what happened to regular math? totally out the window. You should have gotten a homework help packet from the school in the beginning of the school year. Next year ask for one. It's only going to get worse.
noel1978
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM

i don't understand it either! my oldest is in 5th grade and she never done that until she got to the new school this year. very confussing

kstchr
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM

It's just another way to solve multiplication problems. Some kids still prefer the "old-fashioned" way, but others do better with this way. I can do both ways, and the lattice method isn't any harder or easier in my opinion...just a different way!  The important thing to remember is to not crowd your boxes, because it's easier to make mistakes when the space is too small to write legibly; just like it's important to keep your columns straight with the regular way, it's important here as well. On lattice you just mulitply a row/column at a time, and put the tens digit in the upper half and ones digit in the lower half, then just add along your diagonals.  Here's a hint for kids who have a hard time keeping everything lined up properly, use graph paper - one number per square!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN