Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

F*** the Water Company

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 74 Replies
So I got my water bill and everything was normal except for a $15 charge for a bunch of abbreviations with no explanation of what they meant.

So I called the company. I told the woman I'm not contesting the bill, I just want to know what it is. She told me its because the sewer pipes cannot handle the extra rain water (BTW we do not have excessive rain) and the water overflows the pipes and causes erosion of the ground around it. I made the comment that it sounded like a city problem, and that I already pay a ridiculous amount of city tax (tax is taken out for living here, working here, and a regional income tax at the end of the year +property tax). She said the money from this new fee gives the city a kickback for the program to fix or replace pipes, and that all the cities this water company deals with are part of this program. I said that it sounded like just another tax then. She said it is, but they are calling it a fee.
I thanked her for answering my questions and hung up.
Then I called the department of public works for my city, and asked them about this awesome new program to make the pipes better, and when are they going to start doing it. The woman told me that she would love to know when they will be getting this kickback as well and if I find out to please let her know.
Ok.....
So I called the water and sewer department and I got a different person who said no no no it wasn't for erosion its because the water that hits the concrete in my driveway, the shingles on my roof, and the stairway to my porch....is more polluted than the rain gets in the air..... Because rain water is clean until it hits the ground..... And therefore this fee is to pay for the cleaning of the water that hits my property. So I asked the woman where pollutants from my car, and factories, and airplanes goes? And she informed me that rain does not collect pollutants, and that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet.... Yea...... So moving on I asked her how they calculate this fee and she informed me that someone measured my driveway, my garage, my roof, my porch etc. Anything with an artificial surface. I asked when the program started. She said January. I told her I haven't seen a single person out here measuring mine or anybody else's properties, especially since January. So when did they do this? She doesn't know..... Great..... So can I get some info on how the money is split to the cities, what percentage of the fee they get, etc.? No. Try Google. Fantastic.
Asked my neighbors.... Most common response?.... I have to check my bill.
Does nobody read their bills anymore?
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.H15
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Wow...that's nuts.
Mrs.H15
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Our water company estimated our bill twice and low balled it so our last one was double
Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Nobody knows what I'm talking about either that's the worst part. They all just paid the bill. Didn't even look at it as broken down charges. So I don't know what anyone else has been told because they haven't asked.

Quoting Mrs.H15:

Wow...that's nuts.

blue.chairs
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

That is insane! My water bill is usually $30 for two months. $15 "fee" seems excessive. Do you live in a castle?? Lol!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Get a lawyer.  I smell a class action coming on...

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM
My parents had a meter break. They had off readings for a YEAR. When it finally got sorted out, the owed the water company $1000.

Quoting Mrs.H15:

Our water company estimated our bill twice and low balled it so our last one was double

AmyParent
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM
We pay our water sewage and garbage thought the renal company ( we live in a renal community of houses and duplexes) so I don't see that bill. But I view our gas and electricity bill online every month.
Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM
I live in a three bedroom 1,400 square foot house with a front covered porch and a two car garage on a quarter of an acre.

Quoting blue.chairs:

That is insane! My water bill is usually $30 for two months. $15 "fee" seems excessive. Do you live in a castle?? Lol!

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM
We don't pay garbage it comes with the taxes.

Quoting AmyParent:

We pay our water sewage and garbage thought the renal company ( we live in a renal community of houses and duplexes) so I don't see that bill. But I view our gas and electricity bill online every month.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Noooooobody checks bills anymore. Lol I just had a problem with my electric bill and asked on facebook. One person didnt even ever notice in the year she has lived here we are billed 2 months after the fact so Jan bill comes in march. So she was never able to figure out why her charge never fit her usage... uh... ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured