Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

4 yr old left behind on field trip

Posted by   + Show Post
It was on the local news tonight, a 4 yr old went on a field trip 62miles from home to a children's museum with his school. When his dad went to get him when he was supposed to return, he wasn't on the bus and they left him behind. The mother said she asked to be a chaperone for the trip but was denied because they had enough. 24 chaperones and 42 kids. You would think they would do a head count. I would be so pissed, this makes me nervous sending my son with ppl who are assumed to be responsible. The teacher got paid time off. She should have been fired! The mothers response was that "if she left her son for 5minutes it would have been neglect, and the teacher should be held responsible." The cowardly teacher didn't even apologize herself, it was the principal. The parents went and got him from the museum themselves, luckily the workers there helped him by calling all 50 school's that were there that day. I just think more should have been done. Ppl say it could happen to anyone, but really it shouldn't. They should have double, tripled checked before they even left.
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Replies (41-49):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:40 AM
We have pre-k as an actual grade in our school system. My DS was 3 when he started, and went on his first field trip. He turned 4 later that month.

But the field trip was just a ride to the park in the bus, to teach bus safety. I met him at the park for a picnic lunch.

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

I didn't know 4 year olds could go to school, much less go on a field trip.

2BRBgirlz
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM

LOL!

Sounds like a neat trip!  Kids have been going on field trips forever,  No reason they should lose one, FFS.  I hope your LO has a blast;) 

Quoting horseap:

(This is what plays in my head when I read this. ) DD is going on a local field trip to a nursery.  They get to plant a plant and bring one home.  They do a head count before they leave school and before the bus returns.  There are only 17 kids in her class. 

Quoting 2BRBgirlz:

I would rip someone's heart out.....that is all.

Mainstream Momsbig smile mini
Come join us!!  No crunchiness!

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM

it's absolutely against policy to take kids on a bus trip that long for a fieldtrip in our district (and maybe state).  I would have never allowed it.

is this the story?  LINK

TCup18
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I agree with PP. I would be so pissed. I think she should have been fired. 24 chaperones and 50 something kids and they still can't keep track of them? That's like 2 kids per adult, maybe 3, they should be able to keep track of them!!!!!
Jasuzha
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

I didn't know 4 year olds could go to school, much less go on a field trip.

My son will be three in July. He will start school in August. This is because he will have aged out of the early intervention program and he still needs help. I won't allow him to go on any field trips though.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Destiny907
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I can't stand field trips with such young kids.   I would NOT let my kids GO on them unless I was with them, as chaperone.  I just kept them home those days.  

WE took the kid to plenty of places like museums, zoos, much much more and often, so they were not missing out on such trips with the classes!

I have been chaperone on many trips and that is WHY I did not let my kids go without me- I KNOW what it's like.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM

The woman should be fired.  She didn't take roll on the bus to make sure everyone was accounted for was a major breech in field trip protocol. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Quoting littlelambe2:

My youngest sons pre k program went on several field trips that were over an hour away.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)