Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Forgot to pick up my kid!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Left my daughter at a playdate until 10:00 last night.  We had a miscommunication and DH thought I was getting her, I thought he was getting her.  Whoops.  

UPDATE:

So, this thread got picked up a day later and I've been on vacation.  DD is 3 and she was with our old neighbors playing with her little girlfriends. As I said, there are six kids total and it's not a typical "playdate" because the oldest kid (16 yo) babysits my daughter as well.  She has stayed late before - but only when the 16 year old was actually "babysitting" so I guess they didn't think much of it.   

I talked to the mom and teenager since -- they were watching our dog while we were away.  We all laughed it off.  

Specifically what happened was... I was out drinking.  It was my going away party from work, I got a new job.  Knowing I'd be incapacitated, I had DH drop her off between his job and night class.  I expected him to get her after class too, but apparently that went over his head.  He went right home thinking she was with me at the restaurant (not sure where that logic plays in, but I stopped trying to figure it out).  As I was leaving, I called him to say that I was getting a ride home and to plan on bringing me to my car before work in the morning, and btw, how's DD?  He thought I had her.  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Don't feel bad. When dh and I both where still in the military together (I am no longer in). We both had drill on the same weekend. We had to get some shopping done. Well one was suppose to shop while the other got ds form the sitter. Mind you ds was oh about 3 months old at the time. For some reason we both had the list of what was needed form the store. We both left our units at about the same time. Both went to the store never saw each other there. We pulled in the driveway behind one anther. So here we have double of what we needed form the store and no ds and its 830pm. We packed just enough formula for him to make it to like 5pm. I felt so bad, lucky that our sitter has grand kids and had some backup formula for one of them just in case. From then on before we left drill we would txt to see who was getting ds.

amazzonia
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

How old is she?

amazzonia
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:23 AM
6 moms liked this

I'm sorry but there is nothing to laugh about! Do you ever watch the news? Your baby could've been one of those babies died in a car for the heat or too cold, he could've been kidnapped....I mean really? Laugh about it? If I did something like that, for sure I woldn't laugh!!

Quoting DEJavu17:

Oh lol I'm not! Just explaining to the anon with the "wtf". We laugh about it now...

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom walked out of the house without my brother once. He was just a newborn and my sister and I were older. We all got into the car and she was heading out when I asked her if it was ok that baby brother was staying home alone. My poor mother was horrified! Lol, she was so used to just being able to get up and go that she completely spaced the baby!

Don't beat yourself up. It happens. It's not like you left him for hours! And he was safe, which is the important part.

Quoting DEJavu17:

He was a newborn. I was a first time mom...

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. Wtf?

Quoting DEJavu17:

When ds 1 was a newborn I left him in the car when I went into Walmart. .

I started shopping and realized I had forgotten the baby. I felt so bad....he

Was only a few days old...

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

If that were to happen to me, I'd let the parents explain and give them the benefit of the doubt.  What set of parents hasn't had a miscommunication before?  I would only start worrying if it happened more than once.

So just explain, and maybe offer to host the next playdate to show good faith.

Mom2Adalee
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:52 AM
5 moms liked this
I love how the quick to judge moms like the anon button....

Quoting DEJavu17:

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. Wtf?

Quoting DEJavu17:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

different anon, but thats not an excuse... as a first time mom i am always careful and aware of my son...

wow...

Quoting DEJavu17:

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. Wtf?

Quoting DEJavu17:

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Guess you didn't read? She thought DH was picking the child up and I'm sure DH thought she was picking the child up. It happens!

Quoting SadeAyosmom:

how how how how?

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

honestly... it's been known to happen a lot... with the pressure to do everything "perfectly" things happen. At least she remembered him and went back to get him not much later. 

Quoting Anonymous:

different anon, but thats not an excuse... as a first time mom i am always careful and aware of my son...

wow...

Quoting DEJavu17:

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. Wtf?

Quoting DEJavu17:

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

pce68
by Patti on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Why didn't the other parent call you?

singlemama0905
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Happens to the best of us.

I've heard the story over and over about my grandparents forgetting my dad at church and not realizing it until they were back to the farm and realized they were one kid short..

After I had my son, I was working 70+ hour work weeks, worn out, up a 4..  I walked outta the house made it into my car and then realized my ds was still sleeping in his crib.  Talk about embarrassing moment at work explaining why I was late haha.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN