Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Forgot to pick up my kid!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Left my daughter at a playdate until 10:00 last night.  We had a miscommunication and DH thought I was getting her, I thought he was getting her.  Whoops.  

UPDATE:

So, this thread got picked up a day later and I've been on vacation.  DD is 3 and she was with our old neighbors playing with her little girlfriends. As I said, there are six kids total and it's not a typical "playdate" because the oldest kid (16 yo) babysits my daughter as well.  She has stayed late before - but only when the 16 year old was actually "babysitting" so I guess they didn't think much of it.   

I talked to the mom and teenager since -- they were watching our dog while we were away.  We all laughed it off.  

Specifically what happened was... I was out drinking.  It was my going away party from work, I got a new job.  Knowing I'd be incapacitated, I had DH drop her off between his job and night class.  I expected him to get her after class too, but apparently that went over his head.  He went right home thinking she was with me at the restaurant (not sure where that logic plays in, but I stopped trying to figure it out).  As I was leaving, I called him to say that I was getting a ride home and to plan on bringing me to my car before work in the morning, and btw, how's DD?  He thought I had her.  

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (111-120):
Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I did that with my oldest.... I worked as a Head Start Teaching asst. The first day of him being in the baby room (he was like 6 - 7 months old) I got my bag with my stuff in it, said my "see ya tomorrows"  to everyone I worked with and started walking out. The Director stopped me and said "Ummm did you forget your son?" I played it off and was like "What? Nooo I'm just going and putting everything in the car and starting it because it's cold outside!" (It was January in Ohio and about 3" of snow on the ground!)

Quoting Anonymous:

The first day my baby was at Daycare (theres a daycare in the school and I had been going to school without him for like a week) I had just gotten out of class and was just about to walk out the school doors when I realized I had forgoten him, I felt so horrible and this is the first time Ive told anyone lol

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I left ds at bffs house once. He was around 18 months nd feel asleep while playing. BFF and I took her ds downstairs to let my ds sleep. Time came for me to leave, loaded up the swim gear we had and off I went. We live about 4 miles apart and I was halfway home when she realized ds was still upstairs asleep! She calls me and says "forget something...?" We laugh about it. She said she would just call me when he woke up for me to go get him.
LiliM
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Miscommunication happens. I don't see it as a major deal. I've had this happen to a friend when her kids werewith me. 

ajrjj05
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

This is why kids need cell phones!!!! SHM.. wow. What did they say when you picked her up?

.stella.
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Calm your tits. Her kids fine. He didn't die from being alone for 5 mins..

Quoting amazzonia:

I'm sorry but there is nothing to laugh about! Do you ever watch the news? Your baby could've been one of those babies died in a car for the heat or too cold, he could've been kidnapped....I mean really? Laugh about it? If I did something like that, for sure I woldn't laugh!!

Quoting DEJavu17:

Oh lol I'm not! Just explaining to the anon with the "wtf". We laugh about it now...

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom walked out of the house without my brother once. He was just a newborn and my sister and I were older. We all got into the car and she was heading out when I asked her if it was ok that baby brother was staying home alone. My poor mother was horrified! Lol, she was so used to just being able to get up and go that she completely spaced the baby!

Don't beat yourself up. It happens. It's not like you left him for hours! And he was safe, which is the important part.

Quoting DEJavu17:

He was a newborn. I was a first time mom...

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. Wtf?

Quoting DEJavu17:

When ds 1 was a newborn I left him in the car when I went into Walmart. .

I started shopping and realized I had forgotten the baby. I felt so bad....he

Was only a few days old...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:32 PM
When my 2 year old was only a few months old we went to the zoo. I usually wore him and put my now 4 year oldv(he was 2 at the time)in the stroller. Well it had gotten really warm so I took my wrap off and put the baby in the buggy and let my 4 year old walk. I forgot that he wasn't in the stroller and walked off without him. I noticed seconds later but I felt horrible, I was lucky he was followijg behind me and didnt run off!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

And I'm sure you bake homemade cookies with no sugar every sunday and put sunscreen on every time you walked him by the window and changed every diaper half a second after it was used too. Holy cow. People make mistakes and all you can do later (when everyone is safe) is laugh about it. No parent has ever been perfect. Not one.

Oh look I can push the anonymous button too.
Redwall
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Whoops?!  It kind of sounds like you both forgot your daughter? 

maof1soon2b2
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:59 PM

LOL that's funny! Yes I wonder too why they wouldn't call you after a certain time!? Maybe they didn't want to be rude! lol Hey that's more playtime on her part!

Knightquester
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

What did her friends parents think is all that matters.

Maybe a good way to make it up to the parents is offering for their child to come over and stay a night or until the evening at your house.  Really you sound like you're pretty sorry, just a sincere apology might be all it takes.

I've become pretty good friends with many of the parents of my childrens friends so I wouldn't really mind if explained that it was a miscomunication and they didn't come after I had called.  If you guys don't know each other so well then it's a little harder to know how they will take the situation and to know if they trust you enough to realize you're not lying about it and weren't using them as free babysitters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN