Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They Deserve to be There Too!!!

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 151 Replies
16 moms liked this

The hypocrisy really bothers me amongst many of the uber fit people.  

On one hand the unhealthy are bashed because they are too "lazy" to take care of themselves.  

On the other hand the healthy laugh behind the back of the unhealthy for even trying, saying things that would indicate "they dont belong".

It was around New Years time and one of my very good oldest friends posted a status that really disappointed me.  It was something along the lines of, "I really dont want to sound mean, but I cannot wait for all these Resolutioners to quit, my gym is so crowded and its really frustrating having to wait behind them...they dont even know what they are doing, I hold out knowing/hoping most will be gone by the end of February."...*Resolutioners, apparently even a snotty nickname has been coined for people wanting to make a healthy lifestyle change.  

I thought this status was snotty enough but then several of the old crowd I went to high school with chimed in, "Omg I know! The fatties need to hit the ground rolling, like they are really gonna stick with it bahahaha".  Another tried to be all righteously snotty, "Its great they start strong, but rest assured your gym will have plenty of room soon, they are perpetually lazy."...

The biggest hypocrisy of it all is that my good friend that started this, she used to be a big time porker.  Was overweight all through high school, and it was only when she came down with a Gluten Intolerance and her husband left her that she started taking care of herself...I would have thought she would have had a lot more compassion for the unhealthy.  She should know what its like and how much bravery and strength it takes to walk into a gym amongst veterans and be the fat amateur.  

It just really gets under my skin how so many people have disdain for the overweight and preach all day long that they need to be healthy and chastise them for being gross, a slob, or whatever...but then they turn around and are annoyed and feel hatred for them when they try to rectify the situation.  

Its no wonder that you never see fat people at the gym.  

I go to the gym, but its a 24 hour gym and I workout at 1am...partially because im a night owl, and its more convenient, but enough of the reason is so that I can be certain I wont see any body else there.  I dont want people thinking how gross I look when I run, or how im just wearing out the machine im gonna abandon in a month and at the same time thinking I should really do something about my weight.  

I realize im not speaking for any group of people entirely.  Im only speaking for whoever it applies to, and I know there are many.  Her little rant about fat people in the gym got over 200 comments of support.  All from her surrounding area....I cant imagine it'd be much different in other areas either.

So in closing:  

Either support the fat and unhealthy people getting healthy and cheer them on earnestly!  

OR

Stop complaining about them being fat and unhealthy.  

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.  

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

BUMP!

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I understand what you're saying. I see it at the gym too.

There's a reason there is a saying that says one must be fit to go to the gym.

Its ridiculous and why I buy videos and work out at home
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Im not making these, but pulling them online....so yea...I know lots of people feel like whatever asshat made this meme.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM

just one of many reasons I wouldn't join a gym

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Yay, someone else gets it!  I agree its ridiculous.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand what you're saying. I see it at the gym too.

There's a reason there is a saying that says one must be fit to go to the gym.

Its ridiculous and why I buy videos and work out at home

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I like my 24 hour one, I can just drive by if people are there...I only go when its empty, unless I see someone like me in there.  Then I bust the door down and im like, "OMG LETS BE BUDDIES!" and they run away : /  lol.  hahaha

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

just one of many reasons I wouldn't join a gym

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:14 PM
18 moms liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)