Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does my daughters teacher need my consent to hold her back?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 141 Replies
My daughter is in 1st grade.My daughter changed schools in March. She was a C student now at this school she is making Fs. This teacher knit picks her. She complains my daughter isn't capitalizing the first letter of the sentence and isn't using a period. She is beyond anal. I'm so mad right now. For the first few weeks my daughter didn't have her glasses because we were looking for them then had to buy them. Can my daughters teacher hold her back without my consent?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Toxic.Stardust
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Probably. There's still a month or so left of school, help your DD with her capitalization and punctuation and help her bring her grades up

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I would think that would be a question for the principal/administration.

It seems like she should know to capitalize the first letter and end with a period. It's possible she isn't ready for 2nd grade. I would seriously talk w the principal about your options.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:50 PM
5 moms liked this
Wow. Do you not work with her at home? Sounds like she needs to be held back. My son is four and can do these things and more....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM
10 moms liked this
Question is if she struggles with first grade work why do you want her to go ahead? If they are teaching capitalization and punctuation and she doesn't know it, how can she grow off of it in second grade?
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I think so. I hate to say it, but my kids had to use proper casing and punctuation to graduate kindergarten here, so maybe she would benefit from another year in 1st :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:52 PM

This

Quoting Anonymous:

Question is if she struggles with first grade work why do you want her to go ahead? If they are teaching capitalization and punctuation and she doesn't know it, how can she grow off of it in second grade?

BEXi
by BEXi on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You have to do whats best for your child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM
7 moms liked this
She isn't nitpicking. Capitalization and sentence structure is a part of first grade. If she can't do it, then she isn't meeting first grade objectives.

She doesn't need your permission. If you reject the retention you can be overridden by the school board, at least here.

If she struggles in 1st, she will die in 2nd. The leap from 1st to 2nd is tough just as the leap from 3rd to 4th is tough
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM
2 moms liked this
That's not anal... in 1st grade As should not be hard. Sounds like you need to work with your daughter more. My kindergartner knows he has to capitalize his first letter and put a period at the end of a sentence.
Pnukey
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM

After kindergarten, which isn't mandatory, teachers don't need permission to hold your child back. They just have to tell you, and it sounds like you've been informed.

Next year, in first grade again, make sure your girl has her glasses.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN