Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does my daughters teacher need my consent to hold her back?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My daughter is in 1st grade.My daughter changed schools in March. She was a C student now at this school she is making Fs. This teacher knit picks her. She complains my daughter isn't capitalizing the first letter of the sentence and isn't using a period. She is beyond anal. I'm so mad right now. For the first few weeks my daughter didn't have her glasses because we were looking for them then had to buy them. Can my daughters teacher hold her back without my consent?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

In my state, the teacher can hold a child back except for kindergarten.  I would not want my child to go on if she cannot do basic skills.  Second grade will be difficult from the beginning.  I have taught first grade and second. 

Your daughter should have had her glasses.  If your couldn't find them, you should have immediately replaced then.  You need to be working with your child a lot.  If she is behind this close to the end of the school year, it is unlikely that she will do well in second grade. 

ladysamanda
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM
She might need another year of 1st grade. I would think that would be better. Unless she has some MAJOR schooling over the summer and can do it by next school year.
They are holding my son back. It is fine with me. He knows the teacher and it will help him out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Parents who get upset with their obvious fails makes me laugh.

She should be using proper sentence structure and should be able to write a complete sentence.

She should have had her glasses. That one is all on you.

You will get a retention notice. You mark agree or disagree. If you mark disagree the school district has final say and they almost always side with the teacher.
ladysamanda
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for you and your child.... My son is six and still cannot do those things. And yes we do work with him thank you very much. If you do not have anything nice to say, then shut the fuck up. :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. Do you not work with her at home? Sounds like she needs to be held back. My son is four and can do these things and more....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Cs? Fs? She's getting graded like that in 1st grade?

I wouldn't want her held back either. It seems some teachers are just looking for stuff...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM
If she doesn't know her first grade objectives she won't survive second.

First is the most common retained grade because there are skills that are required for second grade learning. Sounds like your dd didn't meet those skills adequately to be successful in first much less being able to handle second.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM

What about summer school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM
The school doesn't need your consent. Shes the professional and knows what is expected of a kid in that grade level. The teacher isn't nit picking. What she's asking for is standard. It sounds like you need to stop coddling your kid because its not going to help her. You already admitted she was a C student before this teacher so obviously there were issues beforehand. And the glasses can't be an excuse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I want her to do that. I'm for that

Quoting mem82:

What about summer school?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course they are looking for stuff. They are called first Grande objectives..they are suppose to be able to do them with ease. It isn't looking for things to be a bitch, it is toensure your child transition to the next grade level successfully. To build upon those skills for more learning.

Quoting Anonymous:

Cs? Fs? She's getting graded like that in 1st grade?

I wouldn't want her held back either. It seems some teachers are just looking for stuff...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)