Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does my daughters teacher need my consent to hold her back?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My daughter is in 1st grade.My daughter changed schools in March. She was a C student now at this school she is making Fs. This teacher knit picks her. She complains my daughter isn't capitalizing the first letter of the sentence and isn't using a period. She is beyond anal. I'm so mad right now. For the first few weeks my daughter didn't have her glasses because we were looking for them then had to buy them. Can my daughters teacher hold her back without my consent?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Replies (131-140):
Gretch73
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, but I am that "teacher" who gets students up to the last week of school.  I don't know my students, and frequently dont get their records for weeks after they arrive.  So I assess their skills, and I gather data based on thier in class performance.  

I have battled a few parents in my time over retention, and only once did the parent not agree to keep their child back after seeing a portfolio of the child's work.  That was an ugly, ugly mistake on their part--the 6 week vacation over the summer in puerto rico where the child spoke and heard no English at all did not help her catch up much either.  

Currently I teach kindergarten, to SEI children--students who arrive in the US with no English.  My kids are ALL aware of capitals, punctuation, and what good writing contains (a little story makes a complete sentence).  That is a KINDERGARTEN expectation.  It sounds like there is far more going on here than you have shared, and rightly so.   You and your child deserve privacy.  

So my short answer, is YES.  If your child is lacking in essential skills, she can, and should, be retained. Not to punish her, or anger you, but to ensure that your student has the skills, confidence, and stamina required for second grade work.  Flip through the National Common Core Standards if you have questions about what end of First grade skills should look like.  

ajdahd13
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

She isn't nitpicking. Capitalization and sentence structure is a part of first grade. If she can't do it, then she isn't meeting first grade objectives.

She doesn't need your permission. If you reject the retention you can be overridden by the school board, at least here.

If she struggles in 1st, she will die in 2nd. The leap from 1st to 2nd is tough just as the leap from 3rd to 4th is tough

Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

yes because if not your daughter will write like this and look like a idiot later in life.

Yes, because you wouldn't want your daughter to make her seem like an idiot later in life.

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM

No they can not most schools tell you what they think would be best but it comes down to what you want to do. The school wanted to hold my oldest son back for being shy, I said no way he will not always be shy. Then they suggested pre-1 grade class and i said no again. He is in 3rd grade and is doing fine. he does have dyslexia which was diagnosed end of 2nd grade. 

You daughter will eventually learn to capitalize her letters and put periods in her sentences. The teacher is just being a bitch but that is no reason to hold her back when she will be learner it all the way through school SMH. 

♫ ♪Cozy Mama♪ ♫ ♡We will be known by the tracks we leave behind♡
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM
It sounds like she's not nit picking. It sounds like your dd needs to be held back. Stop making pitiful excuses for her.
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM
The teacher is just being a bitch???? The child is NOT excelling in academics. Totally different from being shy.

Quoting Cozie_Sisika458:

No they can not most schools tell you what they think would be best but it comes down to what you want to do. The school wanted to hold my oldest son back for being shy, I said no way he will not always be shy. Then they suggested pre-1 grade class and i said no again. He is in 3rd grade and is doing fine. he does have dyslexia which was diagnosed end of 2nd grade. 

You daughter will eventually learn to capitalize her letters and put periods in her sentences. The teacher is just being a bitch but that is no reason to hold her back when she will be learner it all the way through school SMH. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Hmmmmmm isn't the point of school is to learn how to do things correctly? If she is not capitalizing the first letter of a sentence and not using a period then you are failing her by not correcting her.
RMC007
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Well as a teacher, I have to say that capital letters and punctuation are important and should be counted off for when grading. In my state and district, the teacher can recommend a child be held back if she/he feels that the child will continue to fail and remain below level, even with interventions, the following year. There will always be a meeting, and the administrators of the school have the final say.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Are you kidding? You think that's nit picking???
ChristianHerbal
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

If your daughter is not making an effort, this is a habit with her (versus new behavior) and she gets mad when you try to work with her, she NEEDS to be a little insecure. Actions have consequences and it is about time THAT little girl starts feeling some!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm scared holding my daughter back I'm worried it will make her feel insecure. My daughter doesn't try to make a effort and when I work with her she gets mad and stressed out. Her prior teacher told me my daughter doesn't try either.

Quoting Bekki:

I teach 2nd grade. It depends on your district. In my district, parents have the final say on retention. However, why not give your daughter the gift of time while she is still young enough to catch up. So many times I hear parents say they wish they had.Do it now so she can get those basics down. I've been teaching 20 years. We don't take this lightly, and we really just want your kids to be successful !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)