Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does my daughters teacher need my consent to hold her back?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My daughter is in 1st grade.My daughter changed schools in March. She was a C student now at this school she is making Fs. This teacher knit picks her. She complains my daughter isn't capitalizing the first letter of the sentence and isn't using a period. She is beyond anal. I'm so mad right now. For the first few weeks my daughter didn't have her glasses because we were looking for them then had to buy them. Can my daughters teacher hold her back without my consent?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM
If she is struggling in 1st, why would you send her to 2nd?
thinkpink2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My kindergartner gets in trouble for not capitalizing and punctuation. The school decides whether a student can advance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganmommy4
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM

There needs to be a meeting between you and her teacher. Just because letters are capitalized isnt a big deal

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM
This. Why would you want her to move up if she's clearly struggling as it is? If she's not doing the work right, then its something she needs to get a grasp on by staying where she is. And no I don't think they need ur consent.

Quoting Anonymous:

She isn't nitpicking. Capitalization and sentence structure is a part of first grade. If she can't do it, then she isn't meeting first grade objectives.

She doesn't need your permission. If you reject the retention you can be overridden by the school board, at least here.

If she struggles in 1st, she will die in 2nd. The leap from 1st to 2nd is tough just as the leap from 3rd to 4th is tough

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I'm going to assume op left out all thereasons. Like reading? Math skills?

Quoting paganmommy4:

There needs to be a meeting between you and her teacher. Just because letters are capitalized isnt a big deal

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

They can in my schools.  The teacher recommends it to the principal, who then makes the final decision.  They do allow parents to comment and fight their case though.  I think there's a bigger problem here though.  F's in the first grade tell me that your dd isn't ready for that grade.  Do you do homework with her-every single day?  Do you read with her?  Do you help her?  I think if you did, she would be making better than C's even (unless she is a slow learner or has some cognitive handicap etc.-in which case, it is in her best interest to have her repeat the grade.)  Stop being mad at the teacher and start showing a little interest in your child's education.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine is being held back for dibels. He cannot read enough words per minute and struggles with comprehension.

By giving your child an extra year, youre giving her the opportunity to grow and build up confidence. Don't make her hate school by forcing her to go onto a grade she isn't ready for.
JMCorbin84
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Good grief, have the schools curriculum changed that much? I was still learning how to write my name in kindergarten, never mind punctuation & sentence structure. 1st grade was learning to read simple books & sentences like "Jane went to school." Clearly since I'm not a teacher my child is going to b doomed, geez.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

I think so. I hate to say it, but my kids had to use proper casing and punctuation to graduate kindergarten here, so maybe she would benefit from another year in 1st :/
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Wow.  You're a bit hypocritical.  And btw, adding a smiley face does not negate your nastiness.

Quoting ladysamanda:

Good for you and your child.... My son is six and still cannot do those things. And yes we do work with him thank you very much. If you do not have anything nice to say, then shut the fuck up. :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow. Do you not work with her at home? Sounds like she needs to be held back. My son is four and can do these things and more....

Trixi.VonLace
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Why would you not want her to be held back? Mama, if she's struggling now next year she's gonna drown. If you, your dd and the teacher are not meshing well request a different teacher for next year but if by the end of the year she is still having a hard time I would seriously consider holding her back. It's all about what is in her best interest hun. ((Hugs))
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)