Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does my daughters teacher need my consent to hold her back?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My daughter is in 1st grade.My daughter changed schools in March. She was a C student now at this school she is making Fs. This teacher knit picks her. She complains my daughter isn't capitalizing the first letter of the sentence and isn't using a period. She is beyond anal. I'm so mad right now. For the first few weeks my daughter didn't have her glasses because we were looking for them then had to buy them. Can my daughters teacher hold her back without my consent?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
sheellyyo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Here they need your permission cause you have to sign a consent form.  You should work with her over the summer on these things now you are aware of them.  They wanted me to hold dd back in first grade and I didn't.  I let her go forth into 2 nd grade.  She half way struggled thru out the yr and I did hold her back in second grade.  She flew thru her second grade and is almost done with her third grade yr.  she has done awesome.  She too had to get glasses this yr.  do what you think is best.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM
My first grader had this question on homework

Draw a box of crayons with 1/2 being yellow, 1/4 blue and 1/4 red.

How many did you make yellow

How many did you make blue

How many did you make yellow

How did you know how many 1/2 was? Explain your answer.

Quoting JMCorbin84:

Good grief, have the schools curriculum changed that much? I was still learning how to write my name in kindergarten, never mind punctuation & sentence structure. 1st grade was learning to read simple books & sentences like "Jane went to school." Clearly since I'm not a teacher my child is going to b doomed, geez.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

I think so. I hate to say it, but my kids had to use proper casing and punctuation to graduate kindergarten here, so maybe she would benefit from another year in 1st :/

aimhawk
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Here there has to be a meeting with the principal, the teacher, and the parent(s).

jojo_star
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

It's 'anal' and 'nitpicking' for a teacher to want her students to complete their work properly? And no, I think, at least I hope! teachers don't need consent to hold a failing student back. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM
No, they don't need your permission. The school here will recommend it but if the kid isn't ready at all, then yes they will without asking.
Anonymous
Here you have to sign a form with agree or disagree

But it says right on it the school districts decision is final per some state law..
Anonymous

Those are things a first grader should be able to do. Is there other problems with your daughter? With Spelling and such?

They wanted my DD to repeat 1st grade due to issues and low and behold she's got learning disabilities 

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

If she fails math and english she will not be promoted.

I'd get with the principal about how to help support her until the end of the year. 

And expecting capitalized sentences with periods is NOT anal lol.

Cmgmqmmom
by Sass Queen on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I'm sorry to say that it's *you* who have failed your daughter, not her teacher.

My son is in kindergarten and has mastered these basic skills and has been doing them for months. If she can't do simple things like this, 2nd grade is beyond her. You'd be doing her a disservice to try and advance her.

rockgal81
by Steph on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM
The teacher isn't nitpicking...your dd has to pass certain skills in order to move to the next grade. Capitalization and punctuation are a big deal. If she is struggling this year, why would you want her to go on to 2nd grade? Its obviously not just this teacher since you said she was getting C's before going to this school. Do you want her to be a C student or an A/B student?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)