Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does my daughters teacher need my consent to hold her back?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My daughter is in 1st grade.My daughter changed schools in March. She was a C student now at this school she is making Fs. This teacher knit picks her. She complains my daughter isn't capitalizing the first letter of the sentence and isn't using a period. She is beyond anal. I'm so mad right now. For the first few weeks my daughter didn't have her glasses because we were looking for them then had to buy them. Can my daughters teacher hold her back without my consent?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Why in the world would you want to force your c student to do 2nd grade work, when she dropped to an F student?
If you move her on you're setting her up to fail and be stressed.
Don't do that to her. Retention isn't a reflect on the parent in most cases...sometimes it is all that is needed to give a child a boost of confidence.
balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:17 PM

School is not what it once was. My kids were all reading in 2 languages by 1st grade (dual lang. cirriculum, obviously.) While not completely fluent by the end of 1st grade, the reading and writing skills they acquired in kindergarten and 1st grade allowed them to then write small research projects in 2nd grade. The math is something else altogether.

Quoting JMCorbin84:

Good grief, have the schools curriculum changed that much? I was still learning how to write my name in kindergarten, never mind punctuation & sentence structure. 1st grade was learning to read simple books & sentences like "Jane went to school." Clearly since I'm not a teacher my child is going to b doomed, geez.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

I think so. I hate to say it, but my kids had to use proper casing and punctuation to graduate kindergarten here, so maybe she would benefit from another year in 1st :/

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Yep. It's changed a lot since I was in school. My oldest is in 3rd grade and they're working on adding and subtracting fractions. I didn't learn that until 6th grade!! I think they push them too hard, but so far my kids have excelled, so I guess they know what they're doing.

Quoting JMCorbin84:

Good grief, have the schools curriculum changed that much? I was still learning how to write my name in kindergarten, never mind punctuation & sentence structure. 1st grade was learning to read simple books & sentences like "Jane went to school." Clearly since I'm not a teacher my child is going to b doomed, geez.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

I think so. I hate to say it, but my kids had to use proper casing and punctuation to graduate kindergarten here, so maybe she would benefit from another year in 1st :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IWantOneMorePlz
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would you want your daughter to struggle even MORE next year?  She is getting F's.  She will not move on to the 2nd grade.  You have to do what is right for your child's needs, not your vanity.  When one of my children had problems in Math in January, I was right on top of it.  We worked together (with the teacher) and brought a grade that was 81 up to a 95.  Think of what she needs.

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:19 PM
If she isn't meeting the standard, she should. And that's doing your daughter a favor.
reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I just asked my 1st grader if she did the things you mentioned and she  said "Uuhhh yea! If we don't we get it wrong! It's how you are SUPPOSED to do it mom."

So I don't think the teacher is being nitpicky. I think  your daughter is behind and either needs tutoring and extra help over the summer or to be held back.

JMCorbin84
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM
That is nuts in 1st grade this would have confused me. In my grade school math went like this:
1 st grade-addition
2nd grade- subtraction
3rd grade-multiplication
4th grade- division
5th grade-fractions

Quoting Anonymous:

My first grader had this question on homework

Draw a box of crayons with 1/2 being yellow, 1/4 blue and 1/4 red.

How many did you make yellow

How many did you make blue

How many did you make yellow

How did you know how many 1/2 was? Explain your answer.

Quoting JMCorbin84:

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

JMCorbin84
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Ack! 2 languages! Dh's jaw just hit the floor lol. I'm going to have to go back for remedial everything just to keep up or dd is going to think I have the IQ of a turnip.

Quoting balagan_imma:

School is not what it once was. My kids were all reading in 2 languages by 1st grade (dual lang. cirriculum, obviously.) While not completely fluent by the end of 1st grade, the reading and writing skills they acquired in kindergarten and 1st grade allowed them to then write small research projects in 2nd grade. The math is something else altogether.

Quoting JMCorbin84:

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:12 PM

No you don't have the IQ of a turnip. We just chose a private school with a dual language cirriculum. The majority of the their work is in English, but they can read and write in Hebrew extremely well by 3rd grade. Conversationally not as much, but they understood most of what was said to them this past summer in Israel.

Quoting JMCorbin84:

Ack! 2 languages! Dh's jaw just hit the floor lol. I'm going to have to go back for remedial everything just to keep up or dd is going to think I have the IQ of a turnip.

Quoting balagan_imma:

Quoting JMCorbin84:

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

taz1993
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Around here they can hold a child back without parents permission from 1st grade on. In kindergarten the parents have final say over it. Dds teacher is recommending her for another yr of kindergarten.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)