Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OMG, I'm never doing my WIC shopping without my wedding ring ever again!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm used to getting occasional glares for using WIC checks, especially if it holds up the line.  But, today I forgot to put my rings back on after cleaning.  Not only did I gets loads more glares, I had one old man actually shake his head at me!  We have three tiny kids, give me a break.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Replies (731-739):
xxshelbyxxx
by Scarlet begonias on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Holy crap I can't believe this actually exists and they don't use it everywhere! Screw administrative costs lol, that shit would help US out a lot too! Not having to bring that clear plastic envelope that holds 2-6 WIC PAPER card in it! Pain in my ass especially wen DS Chews off the corners

Quoting tonijustine:

Every item has a unique code (size, brand, etc. and for produce the 4 digit code) and the card administrator can Program the card only to accept those UPC or produce codes. If you've ever had a flexible spending account card, or even of you haven't , take a look at your next receipt from a big box store and you may see some items marked with an asterisk and the note that they are FSA eligible. 

The technology exists so that you don't have to break out the items into two separate transactions, but when the total comes up you swipe the WIC card and it takes the total of the WIC eligible groceries from the total and then you swipe another card, pay cash or write a personal check for the remainder.

i have no idea why it isn't more widely used as it seems like it would save administrative costs.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Omg what state do you live in where you get cards for WIC? Are you sure youre not talkin about food stamps because how do they monitor what you buy on a card? The checks each have the items listed you can buy and theres only specific ones, wic approved healthy stuff. Whereas food stamps are any type of food product except hot meals like the rotisserie chickens you can get at grocery stores. It just doesnt seem possible to monitor someones food on a card.

Quoting mommi128:

I can agree! We don't get WIC checks its all on a card like using a visa. BUT I have noticed when I don't have my ring on the cashier always looks at my finger then at me weird When I have my ring the cashier looks and smiles.

mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:18 AM
I never have my rings on and I never got looks from random people. But I really don't pay attention to what people buy or how they pay for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:20 AM
Tx has the card. I used to hate the checks.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Holy crap I can't believe this actually exists and they don't use it everywhere! Screw administrative costs lol, that shit would help US out a lot too! Not having to bring that clear plastic envelope that holds 2-6 WIC PAPER card in it! Pain in my ass especially wen DS Chews off the corners

Quoting tonijustine:

Every item has a unique code (size, brand, etc. and for produce the 4 digit code) and the card administrator can Program the card only to accept those UPC or produce codes. If you've ever had a flexible spending account card, or even of you haven't , take a look at your next receipt from a big box store and you may see some items marked with an asterisk and the note that they are FSA eligible. 

The technology exists so that you don't have to break out the items into two separate transactions, but when the total comes up you swipe the WIC card and it takes the total of the WIC eligible groceries from the total and then you swipe another card, pay cash or write a personal check for the remainder.

i have no idea why it isn't more widely used as it seems like it would save administrative costs.

Quoting xxshelbyxxx:

Omg what state do you live in where you get cards for WIC? Are you sure youre not talkin about food stamps because how do they monitor what you buy on a card? The checks each have the items listed you can buy and theres only specific ones, wic approved healthy stuff. Whereas food stamps are any type of food product except hot meals like the rotisserie chickens you can get at grocery stores. It just doesnt seem possible to monitor someones food on a card.

Quoting mommi128:

I can agree! We don't get WIC checks its all on a card like using a visa. BUT I have noticed when I don't have my ring on the cashier always looks at my finger then at me weird When I have my ring the cashier looks and smiles.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justbreatheOx
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:27 AM
I never cared what people thought or what type of looks they gave me when I was on WIC because I just didn't lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 54 on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

You can't even read the chart right!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Keara20:

Mobile Photo

Wa state wic guidelines. Hmm 50k is a lot of money,yet a family of 5 still qualifies. People don't understand the wic guidelines are a lot higher than everything else .

50k is NOT a lot of money for a family of six, not even close.  It is low income that qualifies for WIC.  Older people will always frown at people on any kind of welfare(WIC is welfare) because that generation would not DARE ask for handouts and lived without them, even when they were PISS POOR

WRONG, I read the chart just fine. I was just pointing out that 50k to support a family is NOTHING, NADA and if you have a family of six and your income is only 58k, you did not do proper family planning.

vvanata
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Don't judge maybe when they planned the kids he had a good job. Not many people have the savings they should have and sometimes crap just happens

Being a stay at home is not being lazy by any means being a stay at home mom is way harder than any job u could ever have. Could be hard to find a job if u have no experience to show for the last few years so getting a job could be almost impossible for her plus daycare can be expensive

I agree people are just plain lazy and are using the system because they can or have more kids to get more money is wrong but u don't know her story about why she has wic so don't be so quick to judge

Quoting Anonymous:

Having kids with no job for you or savings is irresponsible. Now because you were too lazy and stupid to plan, we have to pay for the brats while you guys suck up the welfare.

Quoting vvanata:

Just because she has three kids and on wic doesn't mean she couldn't at one time afford them. Maybe her husband lost his job and now they need extra help. Mine just lost his and I plan on going to wic because we have two kids we can afford them just fine when he has a job but since we have no savings we will take all the help we can get

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Three tiny kids and you need WIC, doesn't make you look too bright to the general public.  It probably wasn't the lack of wedding rings that caused the head shaking.

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Oh for God's sake that horse is dead...let it RIP...people can fall on hard times for Christ sake.

People must be insane.  The only time I look for a ring is if it's a cute guy I am interested in.  I get annoyed with WIC because it takes time and usually I'm in a rush, but that's not the person's fault.

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't have kids you can't afford, married or not. it is an income based program.

twiztidmommy84
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

nevada
CafeMom Tickers
trippsgirl
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Why I have 3 kids or why I'm on WIC is none of your business.  Show some compassion and show some guts to post under your own name instead of hiding behind the Anonymous button.  You are rude and obnoxious and thrive on tearing people down.  I pray you never need any help or sympathy from anyone in this world because people like you don't deserve it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why the fuck do you have three kids?!?

Quoting trippsgirl:

People are way too judgemental, and I don't just mean the ones staring at you.  I can't believe the replies in this group.  My husband works his butt off but makes about 23K and I watch a friend's child to bring in a little money.  We are very thankful for the assistance we receive and try to choose healthy food and use the money we recieve wisely to feed our 3 kids.  I hate that people automatically jump to assumptions that people receiving WIC, Medicaid, FS or other assistance are only doing it because they are lazy, don't want to work, and just want to pump out more kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)