Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Atheist family and my ds keeps talking about Jesus

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

So I got mad today when i stubbed my toe and said Jesus Christ and my 5 year old heard me and said "That's his name and then he said Jesus does magic and makes ice cream" It took me forever to find out what he was talking about and it was this from family guy

He got on netflix after i was in bed and put this on. Now he is asking me stuff like does Jesus fly in the air and make magic etc... It's kinda funny but at the same time I'm afraid he's going to say something embarrassing in public. 

So I know I should watch my mouth and log out of Netflix so he can't watch inappropriate things but what should I tell him? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Lol just explain Christianity and what they believe about Jesus to him.

Don't have to make him christian or anything. Just edicational
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM

He seems to think Jesus is a hero like superman or something. I'm trying to find a way to tell him about Jesus and that we don't believe in him without confusing  ds and  also trying to be as respectful as possible to others. 

Quoting parentalrights1:

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I would just say that some people believe in religion and the christian religion believes in Jesus. Explain the concept of gods and that Jesus isn't like a superhero but a god.

He may ask if he's real and you could just tell him you don't believe, but some people do

Quoting Anonymous:

He seems to think Jesus is a hero like superman or something. I'm trying to find a way to tell him about Jesus and that we don't believe in him without confusing  ds and  also trying to be as respectful as possible to others. 

Quoting parentalrights1:

mich.el.le
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Parenting fail 101.

waffa
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM
pretty much this. I did same with my youngest who has this knack for being bff's with all the born again's in her school LOL!!!
Quoting parentalrights1:

I would just say that some people believe in religion and the christian religion believes in Jesus. Explain the concept of gods and that Jesus isn't like a superhero but a god.

He may ask if he's real and you could just tell him you don't believe, but some people do

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting parentalrights1:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beware! Thar be trolls in these here threads. wink

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Nah. Teaches them to be liberal early lol

Quoting mich.el.le:

Parenting fail 101.

Mrsmayaguy
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM

The fact that you care not to have him offend someone who believes in Jesus makes me think you will do well explaining to your son your beliefs.  I'm a devout Chrisian.  But if I were you'd I'd tell him what you believe but that some people believe different.  

Kind of how I explain Islam or Buddist(I know I spelled that wrong) to my kids.

Goid luck!

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM

LOL!!!

Oh man, I'm an atheist.. I'm completely okay with my children becoming whatever suits them.. But I didn't want them exposed so young.. My oldest is in Kindergarten..  a little girl sent him home with a DVD about God/Jesus/etc and told him he was going to GO TO HELL because he didn't know much about God and his son.  W. T. F.   

Now my son is horrified of "the scary place"  smh.

MeghMirab
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I'd tell him that it was a cartoon and like most cartoons not real. I'd also Inform him that if he is interested in learning about Jesus you guys can go to the library and get some books. I understand your family being atheist (and respect that) however if he's choosing to show interest in it, no matter how it happened, I'd help him so I know he's getting the information from the right places. That's a tough spot though, good luck! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:58 PM

When ds gets older if he wants to go to church or decides he wants to believe I'm not going to hold him back or tell him he's wrong because he believes differently than me but for someone to tell a little kid they are going to burn in hell is so terrible.

I hope that little girl is not being taught by her parents to say this kind of stuff. Also I went to a church that taught that kind of stuff and I am atheist today. 

Quoting KristenFowles:

LOL!!!

Oh man, I'm an atheist.. I'm completely okay with my children becoming whatever suits them.. But I didn't want them exposed so young.. My oldest is in Kindergarten..  a little girl sent him home with a DVD about God/Jesus/etc and told him he was going to GO TO HELL because he didn't know much about God and his son.  W. T. F.   

Now my son is horrified of "the scary place"  smh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN