Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Atheist family and my ds keeps talking about Jesus

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

So I got mad today when i stubbed my toe and said Jesus Christ and my 5 year old heard me and said "That's his name and then he said Jesus does magic and makes ice cream" It took me forever to find out what he was talking about and it was this from family guy

He got on netflix after i was in bed and put this on. Now he is asking me stuff like does Jesus fly in the air and make magic etc... It's kinda funny but at the same time I'm afraid he's going to say something embarrassing in public. 

So I know I should watch my mouth and log out of Netflix so he can't watch inappropriate things but what should I tell him? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
MeghMirab
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Omg, that's terrible! Poor kid. ): I'd be pretty upset if some kid was doing that to my kindergartner (or any age child really). Imagine what goes on at that house to the point that kid feels pushy enough to bring DVD's in to non-believers or kids who just aren't ready to choose their paths yet. Yikes. 

Quoting KristenFowles:

LOL!!!

Oh man, I'm an atheist.. I'm completely okay with my children becoming whatever suits them.. But I didn't want them exposed so young.. My oldest is in Kindergarten..  a little girl sent him home with a DVD about God/Jesus/etc and told him he was going to GO TO HELL because he didn't know much about God and his son.  W. T. F.   

Now my son is horrified of "the scary place"  smh.

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:02 PM

There are more instances with this little girl.. haha, but what's really funny, I took my 5 year old dd to her Kindergarten orientation a few weeks ago, and I REALLY hit it off with this mom.. just to discover she was this little girls mother.. hahaha

I think this little girl IS taught this by her parents.. I always have to remind myself that it's done because they truly CARE and believe it's the best.  There are good intentions behind it, I just don't understand it.. at all... and it's not my way.

Quoting Anonymous:

When ds gets older if he wants to go to church or decides he wants to believe I'm not going to hold him back or tell him he's wrong because he believes differently than me but for someone to tell a little kid they are going to burn in hell is so terrible.

I hope that little girl is not being taught by her parents to day this kind of stuff. Also I went to a church that taught that kind of stuff and I am atheist today. 

Quoting KristenFowles:

LOL!!!

Oh man, I'm an atheist.. I'm completely okay with my children becoming whatever suits them.. But I didn't want them exposed so young.. My oldest is in Kindergarten..  a little girl sent him home with a DVD about God/Jesus/etc and told him he was going to GO TO HELL because he didn't know much about God and his son.  W. T. F.   

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I met her mom recently.. I didn't know it was her mother when talking to her.. And I REALLY hit it off with her.. when I discovered it was the "fundamentalist christian child's mom" that was semi harassing my son.. all I could do was laugh at the irony.. haha.    They mean well, I have to keep reminding myself of that.  If the little girl didn't care about my son, she wouldn't have even bothered.. right?

Quoting MeghMirab:

Omg, that's terrible! Poor kid. ): I'd be pretty upset if some kid was doing that to my kindergartner (or any age child really). Imagine what goes on at that house to the point that kid feels pushy enough to bring DVD's in to non-believers or kids who just aren't ready to choose their paths yet. Yikes. 

Quoting KristenFowles:

LOL!!!

MeghMirab
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM

That's a great way to look at it, very positive. (: I think the telling him he's going to hell was taking it a little too far and scaring your son like that. 

Quoting KristenFowles:

I met her mom recently.. I didn't know it was her mother when talking to her.. And I REALLY hit it off with her.. when I discovered it was the "fundamentalist christian child's mom" that was semi harassing my son.. all I could do was laugh at the irony.. haha.    They mean well, I have to keep reminding myself of that.  If the little girl didn't care about my son, she wouldn't have even bothered.. right?

Quoting MeghMirab:

Quoting KristenFowles:

LOL!!!

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
It was way too far.. But at 6, she knew no better :)

Quoting MeghMirab:

That's a great way to look at it, very positive. (: I think the telling him he's going to hell was taking it a little too far and scaring your son like that. 

Quoting KristenFowles:

Quoting MeghMirab:

Quoting KristenFowles:

LOL!!!

WashingtonMom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM

LOL

I'm sorry, that was my first reaction - more so because I just recently saw this episode. lol!!!

I've talked to my 6yo DD a little bit about religion, simply because her friends at school have talked about going to church, etc.  I am pagan - DH is closer to animism - but we want her to choose for herself. We'll give her unbiased, factual info and encourage her to question more as she gets older, if she does want to partake in any organized religion or be atheist. 

For now, you can just tell him plain, simple and unvarished truth - Jesus is a idea that some people believe in and he is represented in many different ways based on what those people believe. Some people believe that Jesus flies around and makes ice cream. Also that you believe in something different and not everyone has to believe in Jesus if they don't want to - and that's okay. 

Good luck, and lol still :) our DD watches Family guy from time to time but she has a pretty short attention span. And!! Netflix does have a kid's side!! If you use like an iPad or something they do have Netflix for Kids, maybe direct him there? Altho there are still shows listed on that side that are questionable for young kids...

DH and DD are watching the Hobbit atm... :)

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM

while i dont believe in religion i make a huge point to respect everyones beliefs. I personally tell my son "well some people believe he was the son of God, I personallyl dont think thats true but i bet he was a pretty awesome guy" 

RoyalBlossom
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I thought atheists didn't believe in God I didn't know that they didn't believe Jesus existed either. By the way is atheism exclusive to Christianity or is any form or religion that they don't believe in. I really have no idea what an atheist believes I just hear they don't believe in God.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Quoting RoyalBlossom:

I thought atheists didn't believe in God I didn't know that they didn't believe Jesus existed either. By the way is atheism exclusive to Christianity or is any form or religion that they don't believe in. I really have no idea what an atheist believes I just hear they don't believe in God.

they dont believe in an dieties or gods

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Explain it the same way you'd explain Superman or Batman. Not real.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN