Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just want opinions. What grade level do you think **INFO ADDED for those who replied**

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

wrote this report?

(Yes, I am aware of the mistakes in it - tried to type it exactly as written on the paper.)

Arlington National Cemetery holds many eerie secrets and stories of unusual bravery. Some of the United States' most famous figures are buried there. There are any amazing facts about the cemetery. Get ready to marvel at all the astonishing information.

The land that is now Arlington Cemetery was first purchased by the stepson of George Washington, George Washington Curtis-Lee. The cemetery was named after Arlington House, the home of Robert E. Lee and his wife for 30 years. The house, originally called Curtis-Lee mansion, was bought from Lee for $150,000 by Congress even though he never actually owned it!

The house named the cemetery when Arlington was made a cemetery in 1864. There are more or less 25 burials a day, and many unknown soldiers from various wars are buried there.

Arlington is 624 acres of land with over 290,000 burials total. There are about 8400 trees, and around 300 different types of trees. Due to an act towards conservation, perennials have surpassed annuals in the gardening of the cemetery.

Many famous people have been buried in Arlington. These include: Two presidents, The Unknown Solider, explorers, literay figures, astronauts, and band leader Glenn Miller. An "eternal" flame marks John F. Kennedy's grave. Apparently Kennedy's wife suggested the flame a French custom. Contrary to popular beleif at the time, Kennedy was not buried in Boston his native city.

The other president was William Taft. Audie Murphy, the veteran with the most awards, is buried there, along with too many other veterans to count!

This cemetery has many exciting memorials. It is visited by thousands of people a year. I think it would be awesome to visit.

Thanks for anyone who replied. I posted this because we homeschool and writing is one of those hard to teach/hard to grade subjects because there are so many factors. I just picked up his paper to read to see how he's doing and I just wanted to see what others thought of this and see if people thought it was at the level it should be.

This was written by my 9yo who is in 5th grade, so based on your guesses it looks like he's doing all right.

And yes, he does know most of the rules of grammar (maybe minus the proper use and capitalization rules when using a colon) and does pretty well with spelling, he just gets a bit sloppy when writing it out. He gets to type it Monday for his final version, and we'll see if he fixes those errors then.

And for the person who posted that they've seen this level work from a high-schooler. Wow, that just is kind of scary to me. But I guess it happens, because I know when I went to CC (it was cheaper) I was shocked when a COLLEGE PROFESSOR asked who had never written a formal essay and many people raised their hands! I had been doing that kind of stuff in middle school. Yikes!

Thanks for all the input ladies. I appreciate reading the different views regarding this. I didn't realize it was so late though, so off to bed I go.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:48 AM

Quoting jesistar6910:

Based on the vocabulary usage, yes.

I teach 10 - 12 history, I've seen worse than that on a senior's paper before.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jesistar6910:

Middle school, 7th grade. Maybe 8th - which would be cause for concern.

Really?

That's sad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:50 AM

I hope it is elementary!

jesistar6910
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:50 AM

Yep. I've seen papers with text shorthand. Then I get yelled at by parents for giving F's on papers. *sigh* It's why I've decided to switch careers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jesistar6910:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jesistar6910:

Really?

That's sad.

BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:50 AM
So when you say cause for concern, do you mean because knowing a kid could write that well, it's appalling to know most seniors can't seem to string together coherent thoughts. Out of curiousity, and as someone who made newspaper early, what are the level expectations. Outside of what grade you assume it to be based on the pretense, what level of writing would you actually put this at?

Quoting jesistar6910:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jesistar6910:

Really?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:51 AM
Preface: Writing abilities don't define intelligence.

I think it is elementary level, sixth grade maybe.
BrighteyedAsh
by Ashley on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Please, very seriously, I see adults with diplomas daily who can't write that well. Why would you hope it to be elementary? It's inclusive, descriptive, well punctuated, and colorfully written in attempt to capture their audience. What makes you say you hope it's elementary?

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope it is elementary!

peaches_04
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:55 AM
im thinking late elementary early middle school.
im thinking younger because of the length
MzShorty787
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:56 AM
Its sad the parents yelled at u.

Quoting jesistar6910:

Yep. I've seen papers with text shorthand. Then I get yelled at by parents for giving F's on papers. *sigh* It's why I've decided to switch careers.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jesistar6910:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jesistar6910:

Really?

That's sad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:58 AM

Well Punctuated???? There is one paragraph that is only two sentences!! It is sad that adults can't write this well, but to turn this report in as a hopework assignment, I hope that it is for an elementary class!!

Quoting BrighteyedAsh:

Please, very seriously, I see adults with diplomas daily who can't write that well. Why would you hope it to be elementary? It's inclusive, descriptive, well punctuated, and colorfully written in attempt to capture their audience. What makes you say you hope it's elementary?

Quoting Anonymous:

I hope it is elementary!

MzShorty787
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 4:59 AM
Reminds me of junior high. We had a student write an entire English paper w/o any punctuation except at the very end lol also if memory serves there were a bunch ands in there too lol

Quoting jesistar6910:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jesistar6910:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jesistar6910:

Really?

That's sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)