Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bullying....something I don't understand.

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm watching a documentary on Netflix called Bully. One thing I really don't understand is why do teachers, principals, bus drivers, and other administration sit by and do nothing when a child is being bullied right in front of them? The farthest they will go is talking to the bully which obviously does nothing. Kids are sent home for wearing shorts too short and mohawks or other distracting hair but not for verbally or physically attacking another person? Why is nothing done??? The schools say their hands are tied or it's a difficult situation. Bullshit. It seems pretty simple to me. If a child can not keep his hands or hurtful words to himself he should not be allowed in school. Period.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
C12H22O11addict
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Thumbs up*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

My DD has been dealing with bullying this entire year by boys in her class. All they do is talk to the kids. DH and I are at our wits end with it! They do the whole Ant-Bullying campaign in schools, but when it comes down to it, they can't/won't do much.

Luna091306
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM

That's horrible! I don't understand why they allow it. I believe all children have a right to an education and one that isn't hindered by distractions or abuse. If a mohawk constitutes as a distraction then shouldn't verbal or physical assault be a distraction as well? There should be absolutely no tolerance for bullying in schools.

Quoting Anonymous:

My DD has been dealing with bullying this entire year by boys in her class. All they do is talk to the kids. DH and I are at our wits end with it! They do the whole Ant-Bullying campaign in schools, but when it comes down to it, they can't/won't do much.

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I watched that. They pretty much did nothing. It's ridiculous.

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM
3 moms liked this

It's pathetic how the schools are regarding bullying, but they jump up like a hot coal was shoved down their pants when a kid is wearing something they deem "inappropriate" or universe forbid if the bullied child fights back, then they act and punish the kid being bullied.

I told my daughter there are three steps to handling a bully.

Ask them to stop.

If it continues, tell a teacher.

If it continues after that and the person is putting their hands on her, knock their ass out and let Mom deal with the school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I agree. As someone who was constantly picked on and ridiculed, it would have been nice if the school had done something to stop the constant harassment aimed towards me on a daily basis. When it comes right down to it, they don't care at all. 

Pnukey
by Jenn on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I haven't seen the movie yet, but have a few ideas. I am a teacher. When I see  kids being bullies, I do first have to talk to them. If (WHEN) it continues, I write them up and send them out of class. I call home. They get office referrals. They get in-school suspension. They get out of school suspension. The process of removing a bully from school is so long and there is so much paperwork, it appears as if nothing is being done.  The process needs to be streamlined to remove bullies from the school. The problem is that the bully has all the same rights to an education as the kids being bullied, so we can't just pull them out like we want to.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I grew up in the 70s and was bullied horribly.  The schools back then did NOTHING.  The schools today do a LOT more than what they did back then, that is a fact.  They have anti bullying programs, the children have to sign pledges that they will not bully, etc..  Bullying is not something new and it is definitely NOT worse than it was when I was a child.  Because of the horrible experience I had, I taught my dd from a very young age NEVER to put up with anything.  It actually worked . She is 16 and has NEVER been picked on.(not saying no one has ever been mean to her, but nothing like I went through).  Parents and teachers need to work together. The majority of the schools I know DO get involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:51 AM

im the same way i think the kid that is doing the bullying should be send home at least..

1) first to mos of school my son was choked 2 times by the same kid.. what did the school do take away recess.. im sorry that's not good eghough for me at all.. the kid should have bean spend and sent home for trying to fight.. also he was slammed not once but 2 times in the glass doors. in the passed he was thouch by another kid in the privets parts. alot more in the past 3 years has happen in that school..

2) since the fing school wont help my son..i flat out told my son in front of the head guy. if someone hurts you like choking drop the kid.. if you are defending yourself i will not ground you. yes you will have to suffer what the school rules are but you would not be in trouble by me or family... I also said if you start the fight you would be grounded for fighting.. 

3) i have try to take him out of school and the school board will not let me..the program i wanted to us is called k12 which is the same program they teach in school. and you have to have the school boards ok on that one.. he is on 2 different kind of meds one for ADD and the other is for depression. now not good at all. I wanted to home school him until we could get the depression under control. 

why thy wont help anymore i don't know i don't understand.. when i try to get my son out of the place im told i cant home school him. he either can go to this school or one more.. (which the head guy works at both of them). so i keeped him in the same one closes to my juse so if something happens im there in less then 5 mins...they only way to get him out of school is to move. and that wont happen until some time in 2014 which is not good to.. :( 

Luna091306
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pnukey:

I haven't seen the movie yet, but have a few ideas. I am a teacher. When I see  kids being bullies, I do first have to talk to them. If (WHEN) it continues, I write them up and send them out of class. I call home. They get office referrals. They get in-school suspension. They get out of school suspension. The process of removing a bully from school is so long and there is so much paperwork, it appears as if nothing is being done.  The process needs to be streamlined to remove bullies from the school. The problem is that the bully has all the same rights to an education as the kids being bullied, so we can't just pull them out like we want to.

The reason I say it appears nothing is done is because it generally continues to happen for entire school year or longer. At least it did when I witnessed it. Maybe a better choice of words would be the right thing is not being done? It may be different where you live and you sound very pro-active. :) We need more teachers like you. 

I also understand bully's have a right to an education too but maybe that is where we go wrong. If a customer is acting out in a store, the store has a right to remove them. If an employee is going around harassing other employees, the employer has a right to terminate their employment. I think if a child is bullying on a bus, they shouldn't be allowed to ride the bus. If they continually bully in school they should be expelled. If it becomes an inconvenience to the parent's of the bully, perhaps they will actually act on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)