Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No I don't think It was wrong of me to bring snacks for my dd and not for the other kids at the party

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
Sil invited my daughter her sons birthday party. It was us and 8 kids.

Dd is diabetic, sil gave me a list of the foods that would be there so I could figure out what dd could eat and could pack extra food accordingly.

Now dd could it some of the foods that would be there (hot dogs, hamburgers)

But there would be various snacks she couldn't eat.

So I packed some celery, cheese cubes, gold fish crackers, yogurt (it was a sleep over party), things like that to last through the night when the other kids were snacking on Sugary treats

Cake and ice cream was on the list, but I wasn't sure of the carb or sugar content since she had it made at a bakery, so I packed up some cookies that I know she can eat, and some low carb frozen yogurt to replace the ice cream if it were to have to much sugar.

So we went to the party

The kids played and ate lunch

Cake and ice cream time came,
Dd was able to have a small piece After I took a majority of the mountain of frosting off. And she had some frozen yogurt with it (I ate the same things with here, I am diabetic too)

The kids played some more games,

Couple hours later sil said

"I have a suprise for everyone, if you go to the dining room you can all make your very own ice cream
Sundaes!"

Sil hadnt told me about the sundaes so I hadn't prepared for that and dd was pretty upset that she couldn't have a Sundae with the other kids.

Her blood sugar had been running a little lower than normal so it wasn't going to hurt if she are an appropriate snack.

There was frozen yogurt left but she couldn't have ice cream toppings,

So took the cookies and made both of is an ice cream sandwhich with the yogurt and decorated the outside with a few sprinkles.'
She seemed happier and we sat down in the kitchen to eat them.

Well one of the other kids walked in and asked why she was eating that instead of a sundae. So dd told him.

And he left the room.
Well apperantly he told the other kids and they all wanted cookies.

Sil came in and said "you know, it wasn't very fair of you too
Bring cookies if you weren't doing to
Bring them for all the kids"

We were eating in the kitchen, away from the other kids

They were eating massive sundaes which my daughter couldnt eat

And after those sundaes did they really need a cookie!?

She then proceeded to go on about how that was so rude.

Well if she had told me on advance that there would be a sundae buffet, then I could've adequately prepared and would've brought enough cookies that other kids could have some

I brought enough of every other food
Because I knew they would be used.

I onle brought 4 cookies because I wasn't sure if they would be needed during cake time or not, and had they been needed during cake time no
One wouldve wanted hers because they all had cookies right after lunch.

I told her that I would run to the store and buy a package of cookies but that i was not going to apologize when I dont feel like I did anything wrong.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:56 AM

no, dont worry about it. you know i battle this all the time. my dd is physically disabled and cannot play recess or field day. she takes a bag of toys to school. other kids tend to complain and my response is GET OVER IT. my dd cannot run jump or play. your kid cannot eat sugar candy and crap. let them complain kwim. 

there are only so many days in a year, im not going grey over it. 

weddingcountdown.com

emeraldangel20
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM
7 moms liked this

i wouldn't have bought cookies for the rest of them. your dd is diabetic and cant enjoy what the other kids were having. if she doesn't get that, then that's her problem. she could have just told the kids "hey, she can't have what we have so she eats other stuff"

that was a great teachable moment for those kids, but instead she turned it into pettiness

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Yeah, tell your sil to suck it and that she's rude.
cymkare
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I don't think you did anything wrong. In fact, I think that going to buy a package of cookies during the party was above and beyond. 

CafeMom Tickers

redhead-bedhead
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

She expected your DD to sit there and watch all of the other kids eat icecream?]

I'd tell your SIL to get over it. It wasn't like she was the only kid with a treat, and if it hadn't been for the cookies she would have been the only one without.

adulation
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I think those kids sound like brats.

Traci_Momof2
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your SIL is just being a bitch and not very sympathetic towards your daughter.  She should realize it's hard enough for your daughter that she can't have everything that all the other kids are having.  A couple cookies is no big deal in the scheme of things.

SIL probably just didn't want to seem like the 'bad mom" in front of all the kids so she transfered all the blame to you.  Very selfish of her to do that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Yeah, the other kids will get over it.......I cant believe she let them have cake and a big Sunday. My stomach hurts just thinking about it.

redheadstar
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I am a Mom of a diabetic daughter, when she was younger she was allowed snacks at friends b'day parties but I monitored how much of it she ate.
wintersdaughter
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:01 AM
I wouldn't either. If anything she was a little rude having a surprise ice cram sundae buffet, knowing that your dd was diabetic, then getting after you for trying to make things even for her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)