Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Questions for those who work in the medical field (RNs, LPNs, CNAs, etc)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

Is it possible to attend part time college online? And I'd like to be an RN since I've heard LPN's are not being offered jobs much anymore these days or going extinct from what I've read. Where does one begin at the studying to get to be an RN? Or if you don't want to explain could someone give me a website? I'm not sure where it begins, I've heard only that you start out as a CNA. Also I'm from Pennsylvania and online learning isn't offered much here it seems less I have to research further. I just know my community college doesn't offer online classes. I have an infant to take care of and I work full time at a dead end job and I'm desperate to better myself. So I can't afford to pay out more money in daycare while I go to school physically, rather be online. Yes I'm aware I'd have to go in for exams, that's no problem I can work things out with my ex to watch our daughter.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Once you get into clinicals for an RN it doesn't become so part time anymore.. it's a full time job that doesn't pay..

If you can at all make it work though, it's an amazing career and so worth it (I am not an RN, but have seen several friends go through school for it)

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Don't do online classes for a medical job because you most likely won't find a job. Excel schools don't look that great on a resume either (brown mackie , Ross). Once you get to your clinical hours its full time and you don't get paid.

LPN's are still used a lot here so maybe it depends on where you live. You do not need your CNA first. CNA classes is 3 weeks and they make between 9-14 here. QMA make about 18-22 a hour, LPNs make about 26 a hour and RN's make about 30.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

My dh is an RNRCC.He wants the next step up ADON.He was a CNA,he went and got his LPN,then he went back for his RN,got promotion to RCC in 2010.He worked fulltime and went to school full time for his LPN and RN,it wasnt easy.So many of the clinicals were in Pittsburgh.He didnt go online so I dont know.We're in PA too.He did Community College.He had electives to take first and it was pricey,sometimes we had to come up with 2k at one time just for 3 classes.We didnt take out any stud loans,thankfully it all worked out.He has a friend who went with him,he is getting his bachelors now online but I dont know where u can get your RN online unless you were a LPN already.Since dh was one when he went he got credit for Nurs 1 and 2 and was put into Nurs 3 when he started.LPNS make less than 20 an hr in PA and yes places are doing away with them.School nurses used to be able to only have an LPN,now they want RN and with the School Nurse Certificate.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

What state are you in? LPNS  are about 17 here and even RNS barely make 25 and thats VA or County or even agency with no benefits.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

Don't do online classes for a medical job because you most likely won't find a job. Excel schools don't look that great on a resume either (brown mackie , Ross). Once you get to your clinical hours its full time and you don't get paid.

LPN's are still used a lot here so maybe it depends on where you live. You do not need your CNA first. CNA classes is 3 weeks and they make between 9-14 here. QMA make about 18-22 a hour, LPNs make about 26 a hour and RN's make about 30.

livingrlovesong
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Dont do it online. You'll have a hard time finding a job. And you wont learn as much
momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Wow I'm in Indiana our ER trama nurses make close to $30. I'm a QMA and make 19 with less then a year of experience. As a CNA I was making 13 when I left.

I guess it depends on where you work. Hospitals make more then nursing homes with home care making less. Specialty care always makes the most.

Quoting Anonymous:

What state are you in? LPNS  are about 17 here and even RNS barely make 25 and thats VA or County or even agency with no benefits.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanD
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Well I don't know of any accredited programs online that you can actually sit for boards with. And to practice as a nurse, you have to sit for boards to get your license. Also beyond that, you would likely never get a job and IF someone gave you a job, you would lose it quickly because frankly you can't just walk into a job as a nurse with zero clinical skills and make it. That's how people get seriously injured or worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
worwalkerlds
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I am a first year BSN (Bachelor of Science in Nursing) student right now.  Finals are next week.  It took me 2 1/2 years to finish the prereqs that are required to get into the program and I have 3 semesters left.   You can take *some of the classes online but most courses that require a lab you will need to be on campus.  The nursing program itself, you have to be on campus and at clinical.  There are no legit online nursing classes.

I work with LPN's at the Nursing home and they really "run" the nursing home.  A RN is over them, but they give the medications and do the basic care for the residents.  It is not impossible to get a job as an LPN but I've heard it is difficult.  It is even getting difficult for those with their Associates degrees.  Several local hospitals here aren't taking any new hires that have less than a Bachelors Degree as are several hospitals across the US.

CNA's are always needed!  I had no idea what an integral part of the medical team they were until I started clinical.  

I guess it depends on how much time you have to dedicate to this.  If you just want to be a nurse for the money you will more than likely fail.  Nursing School is one of the hardest things I've ever done. 

Good Luck!

jojo_star
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm an RN. It's true that LPN's are slowly but surely being hired less and less. Many hospitals are also going to hiring only RN's with a BSN. You do not start out as a CNA, I was not one, a CNA isn't a medical job, all the skills you need you will learn in nursing school. You can't do nursing school online, not your first degree. Bachelors you can, but not associates, because you have to do clinicals and learn the hands on skills, like IV and foley insertion, assessment, etc. 

4_little_angels
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Bump!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)