Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Kids should WORK for their meals." PA related...WAY EXTREME!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 162 Replies
1 mom liked this
A lawmaker in West Virginia, Ray Canterbury, says kids should work for their meals. He wants them to sweep floors, take out the trash, mow the lawn – basically become janitors – in order to earn a free meal at school. What's your opinion? Should that suggestion be implemented? I just read that on a local news page on FaceBook. Basically, they want kids who are on free lunches at school to do things to EARN their lunch. They were talking about starting this as early as KINDERGARTEN. Don't get me wrong, I am ALL for teaching kids responsibility, but making them WORK for their food? It sounds a little TOO extreme. And besides that, isn't that what janitors are for? I for one would much rather children have LESS responsibilities of THAT kind and more of the homework kind. What do you ladies think? Side note: I do know that in TN and a few other states, they are trying to get it passed that if kids make bad grades their foodstamps go down. YAY lets STARVE the struggling children!...NOT. Our children should be focusing on ONE thing at their age...EDUCATION! Not cleaning the school to earn their meal and not STRESSING about that test that could just get their families food for the month dropped lower.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
10 moms liked this

I'm sorry, do his children work at home for their meals?  Or do mommy and daddy just make food and give it to them?  Do they work for ANYTHING they have?  It's not the child's responsiblity.  It's the parents.  Don't punish the children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Sorry about no paragraphs or space. For some reason it will not let me put them in there. I put them there and when I post, it all ends up jumbled together again.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
my Dd school does something like this. She's in kindergarden and on free lunch. She cleans and wipes down the table she's at after lunch

I don't agree with them sweeping or having to take out trash at that age but I see nothing wrong with them wiping down the table with the wet rag
AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Absolutely not. They are children! It's not their fault that their parents don't make enough to properly support them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabelle338
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
3 moms liked this
Why punish a child for something they have no control over?
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this
If this happens I would yank my children out of school and then homeschool them
slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Child labor.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm all for getting kids to help clean the school to save money, but not little kids and definitely not as a condition of being fed.

The foodstamps thing is horrifying and I'm one of the system's biggest skeptics.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

What a great way to show those poor kids their place!  Have them scrub toilets while the paying children watch.  That'll teach them....smdh!

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM
6 moms liked this

If anything, the parents could do the work. Children are not responsible to provide their own food. That is what makes them children and not adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)