Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A rant from a dog owner to parents. -Long-

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 500 Replies
35 moms liked this

If we are in the store and your kid decides to rub his grubby little hands across my dog's head without my permission then I am liable to give you the stink eye and tell your kid to stop. If you are one of those special people who thinks that your child is entitled to everything without asking (and I have ran across a few of them) then your child will be in for a shocker if they refuse to listen to me telling me to stop petting my dog and I reach down for their hands and place them at their sides.  If she decides to cry because she can't pet the "puppy" anymore then that is not my problem. Don't get up in my face and blame me for your child's tears when your child should not have been messing with the dog in the first place. I know she is too young to read but you should be able to read the bright yellow and orange patch that says "Do not touch me, I'm working" or the other one that says "Service dog". Even if you can't read, the Bright Orange/yellow/blue vest should tell you its not an ordinary dog. If that doesn't tell you then maybe the fact that that it is in a supermarket should.

For Christ's sake stop bringing your toddlers to the dog park when you don't even have a dog. It is not a petting zoo. Don't look at me when my dog knocks your kid over because he was focused on a frisbee and your kid was in the way. I will be sweet and pick your kid up off the ground but you have no right to yell at me. Your 4 year old shouldn't even be there. While we are on the subject. My Jack Russell does not want to get picked up by her hind legs (she doesn't want to get picked up at all). So if your child keeps chasing her and trying to pick her after many warnings from me not to then don't be mad when my dog bares her teeth at your kid.  (I await people to say I shouldn't bring her outside at all).  Why do I have to be run out of the dog park because you think it is a free petting zoo.

Also don't say stupid things to me about how you would never have those "monsters" around your kids when you see me out with my dogs and kids. Personally if that is your attitude then I wouldn't want my dogs, or kids around you. I don't tolerate ignorance or bigotry well. 

And Lastly. This is the most annoying conversation between this dog owner and parents

Parent: I don't like that breed

Dog Owner: Why?

Parent: Because a dog like that bit my child

Dog owner: Why?

Parent: Because it was tied up/walking around/ in its yard and my child went to pet it and it bit her. 

1. Just because one dog of a certain breed bit your kid doesn't mean they all will. 2) Why the hell were you letting your child pet a strange dog anyway?  I knew a lady who sued a man because her child went up on his property and tried to pet the dog through his backyard gate and it bit her.  Why wasn't your child taught better than to do such stupid things? 

puppy

I await your bashing.

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
8 moms liked this

Oh. And I hate when parents think it is cute for their kids to ride on their big dogs like it is a horse and then get surprised when the dog has hip and back problems. 

danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM

LOL

I just tell people to stay the fuck away from my dog when they approach.

Works well.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM

What breed is that in your avi?

Quoting babyspots17:

I agree.

Mama_Brit
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM
10 moms liked this
I applaud you. You are 100% correct! I've taught my daughter to ask before petting and I tell her if I'm uncomfortable with the dog to leave it alone and don't go near it.
lalaboosh
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Wow, there are people like that?
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol. It works on some but there are always those select few that act like they are deaf. I have a friend that actually had to push a kid back because it was reaching for her dog and was about to get his little finger bit off. She told him stop and he still kept reaching.  She rathered him be on the grass crying than crying because he was bleeding. 

Quoting danie24:

LOL

I just tell people to stay the fuck away from my dog when they approach.

Works well.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yes. 

Quoting lalaboosh:

Wow, there are people like that?

VintageWife
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

People are ignorant!

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:28 PM
3 moms liked this
We've seen a few service dogs so far, my kid wanted to pet the puppy, I didn't let her. They're service dogs and they're working, I tell her you can look at the dog, but don't touch. I'm teaching her early not to run up to dogs and try to pet them. I also don't want her to get into the habit of asking people if she can pet their dogs, because I'm socially awkward and I don't want social interaction too much. If they offer my kid the chance to pet their dog, I'll show her how to pet it nicely and such.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)