Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Alcohol at a kids party

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
This month was really busy. Lots of medical stuff and work commitments filled the month. DD also turned 7, and DH graduated. While normally I don't do combined parties I was backed into a corner in regards to time, so we had one. DD had her friends over and DH had his family over. It was a cook out so it wasn't a huge deal EXCEPT his family brought beer. DH and I both are non drinkers but if it were just a cook out I wouldn't care anyhow, the problem is it wasn't. It was a kids birthday and I found inappropriate. I didn't make them leave but I asked they consume it out front or in the garage (where kids weren't). DH is upset and calling me rude. Was I?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
l0nely
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Nope
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM
No you weren't rude. We always have alcohol at parties but that's just how our families are since parties last all night.
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Your house your rules. They should have been a mutual decision.

Peaceful.chaos
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM
No but I also don't see the big deal with alcohol as long as no one's getting sloshed and drinking responsibly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

dh's family does that shit too.  I poured it ALL out last time.  I am completely against it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

No. 

stormy0142
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't see a problem as long as no one is getting drunk.  It happened at most of our family get toethers when I was growing up.  Looking back on it, I never thought twice about it as a child and I promise I grew up to be a well adjusted adult.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

dh's family does that shit too.  I poured it ALL out last time.  I am completely against it. 

Why not just ask them to take their stuff home? Why go batshit crazy?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

as long as no one is getting DRUNK or giving the kid beer, no big deal.

RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

It doesn't sound like you were rude, but it does sound unnecessary.  As long as adults are drinking casually and appropriately, not stumbling around like fools, I don't understand the need to hide it from children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)