Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bringing sick kids to extra-curriculars?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 91 Replies

Yesterday we went to my DD soccer game.  Another member of her team started vomiting at the game. Come to find out he had been puking all night.  Everyone in the family had it at some point last week.  I'm livid, my husband is deployed, my son is immuno-compromised, and my son is scheduled for surgery next week.  This surgery has been cancelled three times due to illness.  If he gets it, he can't have the surgery, and the dentist is pcsing, and we would  to start the entire process (a year) over again.  Do you bring kids that are that sick to events that are not required?  Why?  I can understand a cold, or sniffles, but do you realize the risk of more significant illnesses.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Was it outdoors?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM
2 moms liked this
If my kid was puking I wouldn't bring them to a sporting event.

However, your son is probably exposed to more germs and crap just walking through a grocery store so I don't think you can be too livid.
BKozICan
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM

No. I mostly err on the other side.

marissa615
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I get so angry when I take DD to school and there are sick kids in the class, or if we go to her dance class or gymnastics and there are sick kids.  My DD catches EVERYTHING.  If I feel that she is sick in any way I keep her home...not just to keep the other kids healthy but also to be able to love and comfort my little girland take care of her.  Luckily for me my mom lives close and my DD and my mom are very close, so if I can't get off work, my mom with take care of her.

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM
5 moms liked this

No I don't.  When my kids are sick, they stay home - from school, from sports, from playdates and parties.  To me, that's just common sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this
You need to work on boosting her immune system and being exposed to germs is good for that.

Quoting marissa615:

I get so angry when I take DD to school and there are sick kids in the class, or if we go to her dance class or gymnastics and there are sick kids.  My DD catches EVERYTHING.  If I feel that she is sick in any way I keep her home...not just to keep the other kids healthy but also to be able to love and comfort my little girland take care of her.  Luckily for me my mom lives close and my DD and my mom are very close, so if I can't get off work, my mom with take care of her.

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

My daughter puked in class on Friday almost as soon as she walked in.  Two hours before, she had jumped out of bed, asked for breakfast, ate it, and played until the bus came - not a sign of it.  Usually on the rare occasion one of my kids is sick, it usually shows up during the night and I don't send them to school - ever - if I know they're sick.  DH was home so he went to get her Friday; if he hadn't been home, I would have left work (5-10 minutes away) and gotten her and stayed with her.  She had a slight fever and threw up a few more times on Friday.  

Quoting marissa615:

I get so angry when I take DD to school and there are sick kids in the class, 

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM
2 moms liked this
for us no... if they are sick they stay home. however i dont freak out when their are kids with colds or sick around my kids. its just the easy way to help build their immune systems so they are healthier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I have had this happen a few time!!

Quoting disneymom2two:

My daughter puked in class on Friday almost as soon as she walked in.  Two hours before, she had jumped out of bed, asked for breakfast, ate it, and played until the bus came - not a sign of it.  Usually on the rare occasion one of my kids is sick, it usually shows up during the night and I don't send them to school - ever - if I know they're sick.  DH was home so he went to get her Friday; if he hadn't been home, I would have left work (5-10 minutes away) and gotten her and stayed with her.  She had a slight fever and threw up a few more times on Friday.  

Quoting marissa615:

I get so angry when I take DD to school and there are sick kids in the class, 

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
As a teacher I can't tell you how many times parents send kids in sick... I'll have a student ask to go to the nurse and when I ask why they say my belly hurts, I was throwing up last night. Omg STAY HOME.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)