Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why can't we make equal money to men or more? Why should it always be the man's duty to provide for family?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

Doesn't society realize not all women have husbands to support them and their children? Can a woman be the main supporter in the household(with a husband or even a boyfriend)? It's like we're forced to eventually fall in love with a sucessful man and have him support us financially. We don't get enough credit for wanting to support ourselves and our children cause we'll die alone but we'll still be happy.We can't earn enough it seems to exceed the amount a man does. Yeah we all can't work in construction or engineers or waste/nuclear plants to name a few cause if we wanted to become pregnant, we'd be putting ourselves at risk for potential hazards. I'm just so sick of this society where we're still being the weaker link and man dominates but there's nothing to do about it. I'm a single black woman 31 trying to better myself in college to support my 2 young kids. Yes, I admit it I'm one of those who will never marry and my kids will grow up and have troubles with the law because I have no choice but to raise them on my own and I get punished for that! My ex has mental issues and will never be able to excel a high school diploma and can't support our kids on a $9 an hour job. I knew him since middle school aNd fell for him cause I felt sorry for him and I had a low self esteem cause I was bullied cause my skin color was not dark enough and he was white. But I learned my lesson and now I'm trying to do better.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

why should a woman be paid more?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Huh? I make enough to support our family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

wait.  why are your kids going to have problems with the law just because you are a single mother?  huh?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe women are paid well for the skills they have..you can't be paid the same for being a secretary as a man is for putting his life at risk working a job that you "can't" do b/c of pregnancy!

FL2AK
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I make enough to support my family just fine on my own. My husband earns more than I do because of the skills and type of job that he does. Not all women earn low incomes. I think too many women sit back to let men take care of them and sadly are left with nothing when the men walk away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

men earn more simply because overall, they are more dependable then women. with women there is always the possibility of them taking off work or quitting due to pregnancies and having children. men almost never lose work due to these issues. just the way it is. but I think over time it will even out more.

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Lots of women make enough to support their families on their own! Like with any person and job, your income depends on your skills and education and what job field you're in. One of my closest friends is a single mother of 2 and a RN and does pretty well for herself! 

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Because people still believe that women are the weak sex apparently forgetting what we do when we give birth. Not to mention holding our shit together while running a household. Man THINKS he is in charge but REALITY is that he is not. 

Joe Bob should not make more on the dollar than Mary Bob just b/c he has an "outie" and she has an "inny"!! The ONLY thing that should matter is experience and in some cases, experience plus education. 

lindilouwho82
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I make as much if not more than my husband but in general men in my profession make more. In my firm there are ten attorneys, thirteen paralegals, eight administrative assistants and three receptionists. That is 35 employees and only 10 of them are women; I being one of them.

I have never had any interest in depending on a man. I always knew that regardless of ever being a mother or a wife, I was going to have a great supportive career. I knew an education was a priority and investing in myself was going to yield prosperity for my family. I was never going to settle for $10 an hour let alone minimum wage. I am highly respected in my community, among my business partners and in the political arena. It's not impossible to be a woman, make great money and be a wonderful wife and mother.

SusanD
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I make more than enough to support my family without dh's income. In fact last year I made more than he did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)