Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

oh gosh idk what to do now.. hubby left me out of the will

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
I was cleaning up in our room the other day and I found DH's will that he had made out before he deployed. He told me before he left that he would make sure DD was taken care of. I was pregnant with DS at the time, and only 8 or so weeks along so DS is not really mentioned.

Well, he certainly made sure DD was taken care of, but his will leaves me utterly destitute. (I am working on a degree in nursing so I can take care of myself). His will names me as the executor and leaves me with his personal effects. It names DD as the trust for the entire SGLI and directs that his funeral be paid from whatever funds we may have in our bank account. He named his sister as the trustee until DD reaches the age of 25. She can give money for the care and keeping of his daughter and any future "issue" ie DS. I am left with whatever accounts may be left. His will in the very last sentence says, "I specifically request that my executor consult with a retired veterans affairs officer at the nearest military installation, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Social Security Administration to ascertain any benefits I, my heirs, or dependents may be entitled to.

He says a lot goes on in pre-mob and that he had no idea, that he did not read the will before he signed it, that since he listed me as primary on his SGLI benefits that he thought this was in case I died, but he cannot really answer any questions as to why then I am named as Executor of it, or why it leaves me his affects. He was just like well, some parts were if you died and some were not, and I was confused.

We were having a lot of problems for a while before he left. Maybe he was planning on divorcing me, and since things got better after the deployment he never mentioned it and forgot about this. Something just seems super fishy....
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this

If he is actually confused on how it works he needs to get with JAG (or whoever does the will) and get it figured out, that will be a clusterfuck of a shit storm if he actually did die. Mine left me 75% of his life insurance and the other 25% to his mom...his mom was livid when she found out, he isn't even dead and she threw a fit that she wouldn't get money. 

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
He didn't leave you destitute. And while I agree the way his will is set up seems odd, and comes across as if he was in fact confused. I also think wills are meant to be private, that this isn't something you should be arguing with him over.
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

 Monster in law.. jeeze.

Quoting VannaMae307:

If he is actually confused on how it works he needs to get with JAG (or whoever does the will) and get it figured out, that will be a clusterfuck of a shit storm if he actually did die. Mine left me 75% of his life insurance and the other 25% to his mom...his mom was livid when she found out, he isn't even dead and she threw a fit that she wouldn't get money. 

 

 


   

VannaMae307
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

right. she's usually not a bad lady but this really brought out her inner Medusa.


Quoting KristenFowles:

 Monster in law.. jeeze.

Quoting VannaMae307:

If he is actually confused on how it works he needs to get with JAG (or whoever does the will) and get it figured out, that will be a clusterfuck of a shit storm if he actually did die. Mine left me 75% of his life insurance and the other 25% to his mom...his mom was livid when she found out, he isn't even dead and she threw a fit that she wouldn't get money. 

 



Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Is this your first deployment? If so, every time he deploys he has to make another one also, he can change it while down range or if he's back he can change it. I've been through two and each time his father got everything. But his father also knows, to make sure I get at least 2500 a month in the case of my husbands death. Also, whatever bills he has left is to be covered immediately following death. They words their wills however they like especially if its "special requests".
Lorik1969
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM
How can he even do that? If you're married, don't you automatically get what is yours together, as in money and property? My husband and I have a will and it specifies what happens if we both die. I would get that straightened out asap.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM
He did actually. His property amounts to a few t shirts, a computer and a bicycle. We are still working on establishing savings and we rent. You do not concern yourself with whether your husband left you anything?


Quoting hautemama83:

He didn't leave you destitute. And while I agree the way his will is set up seems odd, and comes across as if he was in fact confused. I also think wills are meant to be private, that this isn't something you should be arguing with him over.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM
If I had some kind of a spending problem I would understand him doing that, but I wear the same t shirts and tank tops till they wear out. No designer anything, no jewelry, one pair of sneakers that are worn almost to the point of holes, a few pairs of flip flops, one set of heels and one set of ballet flats. I don't even buy perfume...


Quoting Anonymous:

Is this your first deployment? If so, every time he deploys he has to make another one also, he can change it while down range or if he's back he can change it. I've been through two and each time his father got everything. But his father also knows, to make sure I get at least 2500 a month in the case of my husbands death. Also, whatever bills he has left is to be covered immediately following death. They words their wills however they like especially if its "special requests".

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Its not his property directly. But all of your community property, and his share of that which was left to you. And no I don't. Its not up to me, and its not my choice. I plan thing as if there would be nothing anyway. But like I.said it does indeed seem like he was confused when setting up his will.

Quoting Anonymous:

He did actually. His property amounts to a few t shirts, a computer and a bicycle. We are still working on establishing savings and we rent. You do not concern yourself with whether your husband left you anything?




Quoting hautemama83:

He didn't leave you destitute. And while I agree the way his will is set up seems odd, and comes across as if he was in fact confused. I also think wills are meant to be private, that this isn't something you should be arguing with him over.

GagaNTattooS
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM
My will I left everything to my son. I have a small policy for my husband but the boy gets it al and ny mom and sister are the trustees
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN