Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does this look like CHICKEN POX? Update...UPDATE 2 A diagnosis!

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM
  • 265 Replies

Poll

Question: Is this chicken pox?

Options:

Yes, Chicken Pox

No, Allergic Reaction

No, Something Else (please explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 127

View Results

My 15 month old just started breaking out in a rash yesterday morning. At first we thought it might be an allergic reaction, so we were very careful on what we gave him. Today, the rash is worse. He has NO appetite and refuses to eat. He is sleeping more too, and just all around feels crabby. I am not sure if he has a vaccine to prevent it yet, but I know none of my other kiddos have ever had it (All older but 6 and under) and all have had the vaccine. I know the possibility of them getting it is still there.

Please excuse my dirty kitchen floor. Today is cleaning day and I am a little late on chores due to this issue with the rash.

UPDATE 2: We got to the ER and within 5 minutes were in seeing a nurse. They did a strep test AND a flu test. Flu as negative strep was positive. His final diagnosis is Strep AND Measels!!! The Measels caused the strep. He is also dehydrated a little. They brought in 3 nurses and 2 doctors to examine him completely because they have NEVER had a case between the 5 of them OF measels. Apparently it is pretty rare. He DID get the virus from the vaccine. They have him on an antibiotic for the strep ibeauprofin for pain and benedryl for the itching. I was told to isolate him away from my other children, because although they have had the vaccine, they could still catch it. I was also told to notify the school that my oldest son attends,just in case if there are any unvaccinated children. My husbands boss was so sweet. He gave my husband the day off tomorrow (and is still paying him for the day) and he is going to cover the cost of our sons medicine! Thanks for all the well wishes.

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chickensmommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Could be? Does he have a fever? I had a really high fever when I had the chicken pox.
LaughingCheetah
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Edit: It is ALL over him. Butt, legs, face, neck, back, arms and even the top of his head!

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM
No. Looks like a rash or allergic reaction to something.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingCheetah
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM
He had a fever 2 days ago...a little high, and yesterday he had a LOW GRADE fever. Today he still feels low fever to normal.
Quoting chickensmommy:

Could be? Does he have a fever? I had a really high fever when I had the chicken pox.

AjsMom0508
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM
No it does not look like chicken pox.
SparklePants
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM

That's not chicken pox, I don't know what it is but it's not that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM
No he would be itching and have a fever,take him to urgent care
LaughingCheetah
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM
It looks so much worse in person than it does in the pics. He hasn't been around or had anything new lately.
Quoting Roxygurl:

No. Looks like a rash or allergic reaction to something.

chickensmommy
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM
It could be another virus. Poor baby! Is he itchy?

Quoting LaughingCheetah:

He had a fever 2 days ago...a little high, and yesterday he had a LOW GRADE fever. Today he still feels low fever to normal.

Quoting chickensmommy:

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I'd take my kid to the doctor or ER if she looked like that. I don't know what that is, but it's not chicken pox. Might be allergic reaction to something.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)