Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think picky eaters...

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM
  • 43 Replies

Are born or are they 'made'? In the whole nature vs. nurture debate, where do you think picky eating comes from? Do you think they are born not liking certain foods and that's that? Or do you think parents may 'encourage' picky eating?

Side note, I'm not talking about children who have actual medical or sensory issues, I meant the general pickiness of children...

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kiriis
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM

To be honest, I have never givin it any thought. Everyone has things they don't like to eat, some have a longer list than others. 

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I think picky eaters are made that way and their parents ALLOW the habit to stick around to the point that their child will only eat 3-4 items.
Fuuuuuck that! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Don't know. Everyone has likes and dislikes when it comes to food. We're all picky.
-42-
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Made.

We encourage ours to try different things. They have to take two bites, and if they really don't like it, no more. But we will revisit that food down the road.

My six year old just got into Thai food, hardcore, and my twelve year old has discovered his love for curry in every form! lol

They also LOVE Brussels sprouts! They eat seconds of them every time!
mnivis01
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Good question...?
Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM
My daughter had problems with food since she was a baby. The Dr never knew why she was having problems so she became a picky eater due to stomach problems.
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM
I wasn't allowed to be picky, I'm not a picky eater. My husband wasn't allowed to be picky either, but he's a picky eater now.

Our kiddo has phases of when she's a picky eater and when she'll eat everything in site.

I'm split on it.
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM
I think they are just born that way. However, I think if the parent doesn't encourage new foods then the child will always be picky.
Bri060492
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Idk I was picky because my grandma let me be.. My son isn't picky he loves food. He goes through the i hate everything but chocolate phase. My grandma will give him candy so he doesn't strave to death instead of forcing him to eat a healthy meal when he is actually hungry..

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I'm kind of in the middle...of course nobody is going to like everything, but then you have people and children who will only eat a handful of things, and won't try new things at all, for whatever reason...I think those people were 'allowed' to become that way...

Quoting kiriis:

To be honest, I have never givin it any thought. Everyone has things they don't like to eat, some have a longer list than others. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)