Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you feel like you have the right to be informed if a member of the staff at your child's school has a medical condition or illness?w

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM
  • 184 Replies
1 mom liked this
Whether it be a physical health condition such as diabetes, heart disease, hypoglycemia etc.

Or a mental illness or condition such as being bipolar, schizophrenic, problems etc

Do you feel like if a member of the staff at your child's school, or a fellow class mate, were to have a condition or illness, that you should be informed of there condition?

Do you feel that you should be informed if a member of staff at your childs school were to become pregnant that you should be informed? (for elementary school kids and younger)

I ask because I know a woman who is angry because she was not aware that her 8 year olds teacher is pregnant, and thinks that she should've been informed so that she could explain it to her child.

I Went to school with a girl who was. Bipolar and would occasionally (not often) completely freak about something and have a screaming, angry fit(we were friends. This typically happened when she was in the process of switching medications) and Alot Of parents were angry that they were not informed that their children had a class mate who was bipolar.

I've also heard various people say that they have the right to be informed of any medical condition that a member of the staff at their child's school, or another class Mate may have.

How do you feel about this?
Is this something that you believe parents should be informed of?
Why or why not?

(and I cannot add a poll from the text site)

try to be nice and not Argue to badly, I'd like my post not to be deleted for the replies being to "heated" (:

Relax ladies. I'm not saying that I believe parents should be informed. I didnt express my opinion at all. I just asked what your opinion is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM
5 moms liked this

It is none of my business what medical issues staff at my child's school may be dealing with. It is not a parent's business if I have a SPECIFIC medical issue.

As far as students are concerned, as a SPED teacher I am made aware of some of my students medical conditions, as they have medical plans of action in their IEPs. It's a safety precaution in case anything happens and we need to intervene.

jojo_star
by Jojo on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

If it effects my child, yes, if not, no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM
No, I don't think they should have to tell every parent.
fairyjester
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

NO its not my business

VannaMae307
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

No....that's their business, what difference does it make if the teacher has an illness that does not affect their job?

I also wouldn't care to know of other children's illnesses. Again, not my business and makes no difference in my child's education. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I don't care. I mean if they were taken sick I would like to know so I could send them a card or something if they are in the hospital. But beyond that It's none of my business

We weren't informed dd's teacher was pg until she left to have her baby. The school did send home a notice though because people were asking if they could send her gifts.

Anonymous

Quoting jojo_star:

If it effects my child, yes, if not, no.

Anonymous
Only if it directly affects or puts my child in danger
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

If it doesn't affect your child's educational experience then I'd say no, it's nobody's business and SECONDLY that I highly doubt a school would have anyone on their staff that posed any risk to children. No waaaay insurance would cover that shit!

HaleyCovington
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM
4 moms liked this

No... And there are laws that protect people from having to tell you those things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured