Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Min..wage.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
What is the min.wage in your state? OK so I found this job on Craig'slist for cashier. I called them up and the manager said I can come for interview. So I get there and its a deli and I talked to the manage/owner and he said I can start on Monday,from 10am to 10 pm and I remember him saying 9.50 ok 9.50. So I assumed he was paying me 9.50$ HR. And he did tell me you will get lots of hrs. So I started on Monday thinking its 12 hrs, nope I worked only 3 hrs they tell me to go home and come back at 5. I was like ok so I get there at five and left at 6:30 and the same thing the next day.so on Wednesday u asked him is this my hrs he says oh no only for training so I said ok again. Gave me the day off Thursday. Friday worked 2 hrs and and paid me the dame week I started cash. Guess how much they gave me almost 70$ for the whole week. I finally asked im how much am I getting paid? He tells me 6$ n HR. For now. Wtf. I was in shock I didn't say anything. Min.wage here is 7.40 and you pay 6$ that's bull shit. Bc its not worth of me even going back BC the state helps with day care and whatever state don't pay u have to pay out of my pocket.which is no big deal if I was making decent money.now the daycare lady asked for her 126 that I have to pay out of my pocket and of course I have to figure out how to pay her this week. And I asked couple of people about this and they said what he is doing its alligal to pay you less then min wage.is this true? Im supposed to go back to work tomorrow and honeslty im not planning to go back its just not worth it. Thx for reading rent over LOL
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:24 AM

$7.75

othermom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM

That is illegal. Minimum wage where I live is about $9.00 an hour I think

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Report him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Call labor board I would also quit
momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM

$8.25 I think.

He shouldn't have paid you in cash at all. You can report him for that. And there are plenty of laws protecting employees from being screwed off minimum wage. Just google it and tons of links should come up.

Let him know you're willing to make his life hell, and maybe he'll straighten his sh*t up.

PinkHart
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Did you make sure he took out taxes? If not that's gonna cost you come next tax season. Even for training he has to pay you at least min wage.
mom-x-2
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Min wage is different for each state but that is the LEAST you can get paid unless you are a tipped employee (waitress, bartender, etc) paying you less is illegal!
jeweldragons
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM

$7.83 an hour in OH last I checked.

mrsfitz05
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Quit and call the labor board. Nothing about this is ok and he should be stopped from doing this to other people.

Is this a chain or local store?

daughteroftruth
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM

he paid you in cash, meaning he is paying you under the table and he is not taking taxes out.  and he is not even paying you min wage.  Call the state labor board. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN