Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

for moms who put their kids in daycare

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 176 Replies

Poll

Question: is half a banana a complete wholesome breakfast for a 4yr old and a 2yr old?

Options:

yes! thats a great breakfast!

what the hell? my kids are going to starve at this rate.

other. please explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 223

View Results

pretend you have a 4yr old and a 2yr old. you take them to daycare very early in the morning. they haven't eaten since whenever you fed them the night before. When you come to pick them up in the afternoon you get a little paper of what went on that day and under the category for what they were given for breakfast it says "half a banana". that's it. not half a banana and milk, not a banana and cereal or anything going with the banana just simply breakfast consisted of "half a banana". so they probably got a little glass of tap water with it. when you confront the daycare person about your concerns she tells you that she took a nutrition class in her college and that half a banana is a complete wholesome breakfast because one banana = 2 servings for a child and she doesnt want to over feed the kids so half a banana is all they get. do you think....?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I just typed out a response to this question and the thread went *poof*.  Did you post twice?  

kngarber
by Katie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this
Is she licensed? If she is it absolutely is not an acceptable breakfast and she knows it. Licensed or not it isn't a full breakfast .
ReaIisticBeauty
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I would be upset and I would speak to them about that. I have a two year old and he eats breakfast at daycare, a half of a banana is a joke. The banana should be an addition to breakfast.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM

No, that's not enough.

mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids need more than half a banana for breakfast.

amy31308
by Ashlee on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
If I found out that was all that was offered I'd be very very upset. Sounds like pure laziness to me. My daughter eats a whole banana for a snack. Geez.
Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

If she is licensed, that has to go against most DSS guidelines. 

I worked in a center that got money from something due to the amount of low income kids we had.... so we had to provide: a starch (cereal, tost, pancake etc); a fruit and dairy (milk) at breakfast...... 

tardistraveller
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

1/2 banana does = 1 serving.

Too bad breakfast doesn't = one serving of a food group.

That is an awful breakfast, where is the grain?  Where is the food? Sounds like she is cheaping out to me.

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Is she licensed? Before starting school, my daughter went to a daycare that offered breakfast.  The provider had to submit her menus to the state every month and had a copy for us. It was a couple of years ago so I don't remember exactly what was on it but I know there were certan cereals offered and fruit.  Cereals couldn't be the 100% type either.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Quoting kngarber:

Is she licensed? If she is it absolutely is not an acceptable breakfast and she knows it. Licensed or not it isn't a full breakfast .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)