Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Children and Death

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM
  • 5 Replies
Are you teaching your child(ren) about death?

Our cat had kittens last Tuesday and when we got home today, one of the kittens happened to have died while we were at work. I took the oppertunity to give my daughter alttile lession about death. I just calmly told her that the kitten had died and that it was ok. I let her see the kitten and say goodbye. I know that she may not fully understand what was happening, but I don't want to shelter her from it. I'm not planning on getting into any gorry details any time soon, but I want her to know that death is a part of life.
So, do you teach your kids about death?
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I think you did the right thing there.  It's good for kids to know that death is a part of life. 

softkitty369
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM
bump
softkitty369
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM

BUMP!

Fairyonthemoon
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I think its a good idea that you are talking to your kid about death. I don't think you are required to explain anything gory unless they have questions. Don't lie to her and answer her. My daughter unfortunately experienced death at a young age but since then when someone passes away, I think she copes a lot better than the other kids in the family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I think it's good what you did. Death is a part of life. My boys have experienced the loss of kittens and my oldest lost his biological dad. So I have always tried to be open and honest about death.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)