Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

100K Down the Damn Drain

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 142 Replies

Does anyone feel that going to college is more a waste of time and/or money more than not? I went to college and struggled to find a job and not even in the field that I studied. I didn't have years of experience when I graduated and that is what seem to be the job-catcher; experience. Im almost at the point where I may not encourage my boys to go to college as much as I am to choose a career path earlier (in your teens) and gain experience in it, ASAP. I feel like I wasted my time and money and that's a sucky feeling that I don't want my kids to go through. Just curious, does anyone else feel this way?

EDIT:

My degree is in Hospitality Management and I also went to culianry school for 2 years after that and studied baking. Im learning by most of these responses that it definitely pays to specialize in something specific (that's definitely lucrative).

Also, does anyone think that an online degree is less credible than going to a "brick and mortar" school?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Yup. It's certainly becoming a waste of time and money to go to college unless you somehow gain experience before or during college. That's what I am trying to do. I need experience so I can form a portfolio to show off my work. No one is going to go by my word and give me hundreds of dollars. It's frustrating, but times are changing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM

No I didn't go to college but a culinary school, and didn't end up using that as a career after all. but I don't feel its a waste, and it wasn't anywhere that amt.

DH we spent a pretty penny on his education, but it has paid back 10 fold and then some.

Sorry you're having a hard time. I hope things get better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I know in the larger cities like NYC and Philadelphia, they have internships so you can gain experience, but you don't get paid.

wumbo
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Well if you choose a shitty degree then yeah, its a waste. Im going to school for something I know I can get a job in.
VintageWife
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Holy mackerel! Where did you go to college? When I go back, I think I'm going into nursing because the hospitals around here will pay off your student loans if you sign a contract to work for them for a certain period of time.

What did you go for?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM
My sister in law is a dentist and she told me college wasn't worth it because she owes so much money
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM
I went to culinary school and spent 63k. Most jobs right out of school (unless you know someone or REALLY luck out) pay minimum wage around here. Nobody cares about your degree, they want the experience. A friend of mine was working at Denny's right out of school and got demoted so someone who doesn't even speak English could take his place because he had more experience but no degree.
spicy_n_sweet
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:42 PM
4 moms liked this

For me personally... Nope, my education was not a waste. It provided me a good career that I worked in for over 20 years, was able to retire from in my early 40's drawing a pension, which all have provided me a pretty great lifestyle.

My son is in college right now. Fully paid for by me. It's far from a waste of his time or my money. He's already receiving an internship at a locally based multi-national corporation for this summer, and is already been asked to consider working there after his internship is up while he finishes his masters degree. 

An education is never a waste in my opinion. There are people who choose to waste an education. There are people who choose not to take education seriously. There are people who really do not think about the education they are going for and how it will apply to the real world. However an education itself is never a waste. Knowledge is power.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Bump
ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:45 PM
unfortunately, most jobs now require a degree. even an admin assistant position is looking for one. I think a bachelor's is now the equivalent of the old high school diploma and the minimum you need to work somewhere besides McDonald's as a cashier.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)