Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I sent my 3 year old to bed hungry...now what?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM
  • 108 Replies
I posted a while back about the struggles I have with my kids at dinnertime. I've tried most of the advice y'all offered and my older 2 kids have responded very well.

My 3 year old son, however has just become more defiant. I've tried the same things with him as I have the older 2 and nothing is working!! Tonight, I made a casserole that all of us thought was amazing, but he wouldn't touch it. He tried sneaking it to the dog, pretending to take bites, putting it on his siblings' plates...you name it he tried it. I finally told him that he could choose to start eating or go to bed. He got up and headed to bed. I put the food in the fridge.

Here's my question...what next? Do I feed it to him for breakfast, lunch? Do I just throw it out and say that going to bed hungry was punishment enough? Keep in mind, he's only 3, so I'm trying to teach him a lesson without being too harsh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I would feed it to him for lunch.

I don't force kids to eat food they don't like but they have to at least give it a good, honest try first.

mrstompkins
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe make him try 3 bites? That's the rule at our house. 

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I'm the same way, but he refused to even try it. What's crazy is that the ingredients were ones that he's eaten before and liked. I'll try feeding it to him for lunch tomorrow. Thanks!!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I don't force kids to eat food they don't like but they have to at least give it a good, honest try first.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Tomorrow for lunch? I think that's what I'll do. I think he'll really like it if he'll just give it a chance.

Quoting mrstompkins:

Maybe make him try 3 bites? That's the rule at our house. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RitzCrackerz
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Breakfast. That's what I did with my daughter (with my husbands permission she is my step daughter I didn't want to cross the line with her but I was having enough of the I want junk food because mom lets me shit). My FOSTER mom did that with me as well when I would put too much on my plate and not eat it all I would get it for breakfast. If it is not eatten for breakfast it becomes lunch. Don't like it then eat the food that is cooked for you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I'm no help here. I offer my kids dinner and if they don't like it, they at least take a few bites. Then, they are allowed a healthy snack before bed. Carrots, apples, bananas...something like that. My reason for saying all that is to say this: I didn't understand for the longest time why my 2 year old hated so many things. It turns out she doesn't really care for carbs. She doesn't like bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, cupcakes...anything like that. My other two are carb freaks so to get them to try new things I'd usually include at least a small carb. Now that we know this about her, we work around it. She just gets an extra serving of veggies. Do you have a pattern like that too?

12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

i would throw it out. if he went to bed without taking a bite, perhaps he wasn't 'hungry enough' to try it. when i want my kids to scarf a new food down, i wait to serve dinner til i know they're very hungry.

i always start the meal with whatever they love least too. tonight they sat down ravenous and polished off huge bowls of salad before wiping out the second course of steak and rice (two favs).

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:55 PM

He is a typical toddler, he wants the same things over and over again.

Quoting DevinAnnesmom:

I'm the same way, but he refused to even try it. What's crazy is that the ingredients were ones that he's eaten before and liked. I'll try feeding it to him for lunch tomorrow. Thanks!!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM
3 moms liked this
Just let it go. You said yourself that the tactics aren't working, it's just making him more defiant. He must not be that hungry. Just serve the meal, nothing else and no junky snacks in the house. Eat it or leave it. But don't be mean about it. And don't make a big deal over it.
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM

My kids all eat really well, I'm lucky..

However I was a picky kid..

My mother decided if I didn't want dinner.. I could have a peanut butter sandwich.  I wouldn't get dessert of any sort, or a bedtime snack if I chose the sandwich.  Eventually I tasted more things..  Those damn sandwiches got boring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)