Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

they can't take my son can they? pics update #2!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was lurking around a troll post last night and our situations were identical. I'm divorced with an 8yo DS living with my mom and dog in a camper.

So while browsing the comments, someone said she could have her son taken away for living in that situation. Then poof.

Here's our situation.

Xdh and i divorced while i was pregnant. He wants nothing to do with Ds and that's fine. I don't get cs and he isn't on the birth certificate.

I make 650 a month and only have 200 to pay for gas, laundry, groceries and toiletries. We suck at budgeting so something usually ends up not being purchased (gas, lotion, cell phone... Stuff like that). Any tips?

I spend maybe 20 bucks a month on the dog. My mother used to be a professional groomer so she handles the grooming and we buy his food in bulk. His vet bills are usually free.

We don't get fs because I'm afraid they'll take my ds. I don't want to stay in the ghetto (raised there and living where we live for a fee us much better).

Mom is the one to take care of ds if I'm working overtime (i work from 6am to 6pm regular hours). She picks him up and drops him off at school and if I'm too tired, she helps him with homework.

Everything is usually done on a schedule so no one is late.

I'm Showered and out of the house by 5:30. My mother drops me off and she makes it home at 6. she showers at 6 and has ds up, showered and out of the house by 7:30. Then she cleans and looks for work. I doubt she'll find anything because of her age. I told her i wanted her to start couponing or grooming dogs from the camper and she agreed.

i start a teaching job in August btw.

I just want to know if my son can be taken away? My sister said that she would call cps on me if I'm not able to provide for my son. Can she take him? And ask for budgeting tips until i can work.

Pictures in reply.

Update:

I would like to personally thank you women for easing my mind.

So lets address a few common questions:
I work a rotation schedule with two other people and i do not make min. wage. I know what they're doing is wrong but it's the only job i was able to get. My hours posted were just average hours that I often work.

This weeks schedule:
Monday - 6am to 7pm
Tuesday - Wednesday no work
Thursday - 6am - 4pm
Friday - 6am - 1pm
Saturday - Sunday - no work I rarely work on Sundays unless i request to be on the bathroom clean up crew. Most Sundays are usually when they request workers because must of the crew I'd at church. I got the job through church and we attend church every Sunday.

Today, my mother and I got a pullout couch free on craigslist. We are donating the old one. We vacuumed the entire thing, cleaned it and sprayed it to smell good. We are giving him the bedroom and putting the smaller TV in his room.

I spent twenty dollars on his new bedding with his favorite character on there (Batman) with the matching pillows and put little posters everywhere and put his personal DVD collection in there. My mom and I are sharing the pullout couch. I put a feather top thing for my mothers comfort.

Mom found a free DVD player (the small portable ones). It had a cracked screen but the plugs still worked so we just plugged it into the smaller TV.

He'll be here in ten minutes and I'm excited. We're going to play monudo(homemade board game) and surprise him after dinner.

Update 10pm:
We cooked a stretch meal (meaning it lasts a few days). It was grilled chicken cubed, sauteed onions and green bell peppers with white rice. It's ds' favorite meal. So anyway after that, we helped him with his homework and watched Batman beyond on DVD while we played monudo(it's basically the Sims in board game form). At 8, my mom and I did the big reveal. He was soooooooooo happy! He loved it and wanted his alone time to watch the Batman beyond movie. My mom and I are watching the golden girls box set and i just feel soo happy!

Update #2
I was not able to go to go through all of the replies because my mother and I cleaned the church for 250. Its a large church.
I saw a few replies telling me to get cs and fs
Ex husband was physically and verbally abusive and spiteful. So no. I'm not going to file for child support because he'll try and take my son from me. I'll die before I allow my son to grow up with that monster.

My mother is planning on filing for fs tomorrow.

Someone said ds would love watching real TV. Ds is perfectly fine with watching DVDs. We have a large collection of DVDs (movies and entire series of shows). He have the entire fox cartoon specials thing (family guy, Simpsons, Cleveland show, Bobs burgers and American dad) as well a many other cartoon and regular shows/movies so in sure he'll be fine.

The church has free school supplies for him (crayons, makers, pencils, etc.). We've traded in all of his winter clothes for summer (shorts, sorry sleeve t-shirts, etc.) and they even have us a free pair of shirts which we throughly washed.

The air conditioner is hooked up and working amazingly. I now have enough money for my mom (she's actually 64) to buy cooler clothes in a few days. I might buy a new outfit if we have enough after grocery.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Go get some food stamps ! They will not take your child!
Mrsmayaguy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I aagree get help if you need iit it's what I pay taxes for!  Good luck!

Quoting Roxygurl:

I don't think they would and I think you could qualify for food stamps and they won't take him away. His basic needs are being met so why would they take him away?

fenders35
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM

no they wont take him and dont be afraid to apply for FS and whatever other help they can give there are mothers that live in shelters with their kids and they dont get taken and they recieve aid sometimes ..seems like you are doing your best ..better then some

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think so, when I graduated college I worked CPS for Missouri and we had kids living in a tent at a KOA. They had access to showers, toilets and a method of cooking. They had beds and lived there for 4 months, we did not remove the children.

brittney28
by Brittney on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM
No your son is in no harms way so they will not take him. He has to be abused or neglected to be removed from your home. I am a foster parent so I know circumstances kids are removed. Your fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I was actually thinking of him and i switching. I could look for a free pullout sofa on craigslist and turn the "livingroom into his little bedroom once I can afford the little boy bedding."

Quoting Anonymous:

Your son needs to be sleeping in abed of his own at his age but other then that everything is fine with your situation and they can't take your son away.

zebbyzebby06
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Isnt.that how gypses live? I remeber seeing tlc.doing a series on that. you are doing all you can keep it up:)
ElizabethGracie
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I don't think they would take him as long as his basic needs are being met, but this situation seriously breaks my heart.How do you all bathe and shower?

CafeMom Tickers

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you"

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Given the situation, I think you and your mom really made that a quaint little home, OP.  It's nice and tidy. 

No, they can't take him away.

And if you were married to his father, how was he not put on the birth certificate? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Why do you think they would take him if you apply for PA? You can get a lot of help that you are entitled to. They can also help you get the child support you deserve so you wont have to struggle so much. I would be worried about them taking my kid away for not asking for help if it was that needed. Your camper is really nice by the way :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured