Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

There's a huge difference between Western culture and Eastern Culture. Can you please answer this?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hello,

Can somebody remember my post "I thought western mamas have weak connections with their husbands ..." ? Some understood what I told and Some got angry with me. anyway again I have a problem regarding this.

Here in my country, we live (mother, father, kids, grandmother, grandfather) together as a big family. We never allow the children to have sex before marriage. Also when the children got married even, Most of them live with the parents. Children respect their parents. No jokes, No arguments like that.

Do they stay with you after getting married? If not Why ?

I am NOT criticizing or anything, Just to know about your view.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:10 AM

No they move out get their own house to begin a life with their new family.  You never however, forget you parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents etc. though.  You remain amazinly close knit.

Arabellas_Mommy
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Children grow up and move out. Usually by the time they are 18. They go to college, get jobs, start their own families, or just find other places to live. I moved out at 18 and moved very far away from my family. Most American families aren't all that close... My SO is close to his family and they all live close together, but not together. I have no family here, save for my dd, but I'm okay with it. I had a hard childhood and believe we make our own families. Family to me is not about blood.
zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:14 AM

No, mainly for privacy and less conflict. They can stay with us once they become too old or ill to take care of their self. 

N83
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Yeah I understood... I am happy to hear that you people take care of parents when they are old. Normally Parents are expecting that at that age. Aren't they ??

Quoting zianneaaliyah:

No, mainly for privacy and less conflict. They can stay with us once they become too old or ill to take care of their self. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Here's a fart to bump your post.
conweis
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:33 AM
I want to buy a multi family home. So when my kids get marry and plan on a family SO and I can tend to the grandkids while our kids work and when we get much older our kids can tend to us.
kelly617
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Nope...usually kids move out sometime after high school. Most of the time its so they can go to college.
Families stay close, at least most of them

In my experience both my sister and I moved out after high school, I started working and building a life and she went away to college. But now that I'm a parent we visit the grandparents or they visit us almost every weekend. We only live about 40miles from my parents and 60miles from DH's parents. So everyone is pretty close

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:40 AM

I moved out at 20 but still have a great relationship with my parents (I just hung up the phone with my mom after a 2 hour conversation lol) I still see my parents a few times a week and my kids spend pretty close to every other weekend with them.  They live 10-15 minutes away

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:42 AM

parents stay with us?  usually when they get elderly.  Each family is different in that some will kick the kids out at 18 since that is considered an adult in the United States, some let them stay until they are ready to leave, some kids leave but then come back in order to save more money, etc.  You can live away from your family but still maintain a strong connection.  My Mother lives in a home of her own but she is in my same neighborhood so we see each other pretty much daily, email daily and talk daily.  His parents live farther but we speak often and they visit weekly.  As our parents become elderly and it is difficult for them to care for themselves, then of course we would have no problem with them residing with us. 

caito
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:03 AM

There are as many different variations of the family unit as there are colors in the rainbow. Some people stay with their parents (although I bet not many), most live with just their spouse after marriage. Some people live by themselves before marriage. It all just depends on the family and the individual. It's also common in some families for elderly parents to move back in with their kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)