Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Self Diagnosers...are you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
Back story:
I have a friend who suffered aneurysm three years ago. It took her awhile to be able to perform everyday mundane activities that we all take for granted. She had to learn how to hold silverware, how to comb her hair, things like that.
Since this happened to her, she has become a bit of a hypocondriac. I totally understand why she thinks she has some of things she diagnoses herself with. We have all learned how to be understanding, patient, and supportive of her.
Recently, she is diagnosing her two children with various illnesses. In the last four months, she has claimed her older DD to have diabetes, skin cancer, and autism. She suspects Her younger DD of having cancer, hearing loss, food allergies, and celiacs disease. Her children are very healthy and have been tested to appease her for some of these illnesses. All clear for both girls.
Now her friends and DH fear that she suffers from Munchesan Syndrome. She diagnoses these girls and attempts to treat them herself.
She is seeing a therapist to alleviate some of her fears and to deal with her self diagnosing. She has been diagnosed with PTSD and anxiety to deal with her situation.
I realize sometimes we all may think we have an illness and websites like WebMD and Livestrong don't help with allowing us to self diagnose.
My question is, do you self diagnose or know someone who does or has? Also, do you think self diagnosing in itself is a serious condition that is treatable with therapies and or medications?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I am anything but a hypochondriac, but I am a frequent self diagnoser lol. In a different sense though, I'm convinced that everything can be treated at home and I don't need the doctor for anything. Of course I take my children to a doctor if they need to, but for myself I rarely go to the doctor, I just treat things myself.

petie1104
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I dx myself with regular illnesses like a cold or the flu. But no I don't dx myself with cancer or anything. I would think its the anxiety and if she fears losing her kids, she probably truly get scared about every little problem she sees.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I feel so bad for her to think such awful things are happening to her and her family. She was never like this. I hope she can be treated effectively and begin to enjoy her life like she did before the aneurysm.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM
I'm a hypochondriac and I have panic attacks. Usually one feeds the other. I wouldn't take meds for it though. Sometimes I can calm myself down, other times I'll go to the doctor just so he can tell me to quit worrying. Being a hypochondriac I know the symptoms of a lot of diseases. I don't involve my children in it, but I have thought I saw signs of something in them and so I watch them a bit closer. I hope your friend gets help because she's going to mess her kids up. Their father needs to step up before the kids end up being hypochrondriacs themselves. I've been this way my whole life and it really sucks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM
I wish you norhing but the best! I can't even begin to imagine how difficult things must be for you. Anxiety sucks!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a hypochondriac and I have panic attacks. Usually one feeds the other. I wouldn't take meds for it though. Sometimes I can calm myself down, other times I'll go to the doctor just so he can tell me to quit worrying. Being a hypochondriac I know the symptoms of a lot of diseases. I don't involve my children in it, but I have thought I saw signs of something in them and so I watch them a bit closer. I hope your friend gets help because she's going to mess her kids up. Their father needs to step up before the kids end up being hypochrondriacs themselves. I've been this way my whole life and it really sucks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM
I have anxiety and hypochondriac tenancies, but I don't go to the doctors all the time. I try very hard to not be this way and I don't do it with my kids. Munschausin is different. They will do things to make their kids sick so that they can look good as the parent of a sick kid. If the kids start becoming sick with out reason then start worrying. Eben if she doesn't do that she does need to start therapy for her anxiety problems. It would help her and the kids.
mommy2cristian
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I have self-diagnosed. I've been right most of the time & wrong a few. I do the same with my kids. I do go to the doctor though & don't treat it myself. But I've been in situations where doctors have misdiagnosed me. Plus the fact they think I'm too young to have the problems they've misdiagnosed me with, so I do it more out of necessity. I can kind of understand your friend though. When I was 8 months pregnant I had Pancreatitis & didn't have any of the common symptoms. They didn't know until I was on one of my L&D trips to possibly deliver and one day I had the most excruciating pain. I get scared when I start feeling that way because I honestly don't know if that's what it is again & it can be very serious, so I'm paranoid about that. Sometimes something can be wrong & you're not believed or it's overlooked which can make you paranoid and scared.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN