Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm thinking about getting my pioneer-on when it comes to laundry

Posted by   + Show Post

I already line dry if the weather permits it. But I dont do socks and odd stuff like that. Today though, I hung some up. That little decision has made me consider going (almost)fully green with laundry and strictly line dry. If you 100% line dry. how do you hang the socks and little things like that? And how do you avoid stiffness? I heard vinegar works but how much do I add to the rinse cycle I usually just splash it in. Maybe I'm not adding enough?

ALso, we cant afford a new used washing machine right now. Ours leaks. So I'm thinking about buying a washing board. My local tool shop sells them :)

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Replies (31-40):
SimplyEnchanted
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I have a large family. I'm sure if I had a small family it wouldn't use so much. I'm washing for 8 people...going up to 9 in the upcoming months.  Handwashing doesn't save much money (water stays about the same) but I do it now and then to teach the children and also because the clothes are so much cleaner when handwashed.  

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

What? The lady befor eyou posted her savings was $2 a month. That is a wide range!

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

$90-110 a month in electric costs.

Quoting Anonymous:

So how muh money do you save by hand washing and line drying.  I'm not looking for a guess, but a real value that you have calculated based on experience.

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

I often handwash my clothes and I ALWAYS line dry.  I HAVE a washer and a dryer both.  Some of us like to save money every month and not only that, some of us are concious of being self sufficient or of the environment. Personally, I'm teaching my children how to survive on the land. Who knows if our simple conveniences will always be readily available.  Besides, saving money is a good thing, no matter if you have a lot of money or if you struggle.  

Quoting Anonymous:

How sad.  Maybe get a job, or a better job, so you can afford a simple convenience like a washing machine.

Mama to five beautiful girls- Piper(11), Paris(9), Prue(7), Priya(4)&Kahlan(2) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

handy0318
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I've heard of that before... I even tend to think of HOA's as "the clothesline nazis"...lol... I never would be able to live in an HOA neighborhood, just not for me.

Quoting HotMommaStout:

We aren't allowed...our HOA doesn't allow clotheslines!!

Lizard_Lina
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM
see i would save the plastic bottles for the homemade detergant lol whats your recipe;

Quoting handy0318:

About the vinegar, I use 1/2 cup per load and it makes everything pretty soft and also is great at eliminating any odors that might make it though a cold wash.

If you're interested in washing green...do you have make your own laundry detergent?  I made some and am pleased with how well it works... I'm making enough for 64 loads at about $2.00 per batch and eliminating the plastic bottles.

RightSock
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

How sad. You can't open a post and be nice when a woman is trying to save a penny or two and help Mother Nature at the same time.

Quoting Anonymous:

How sad.  Maybe get a job, or a better job, so you can afford a simple convenience like a washing machine.

Mommy383
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM
4 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Or you could get a heart and stop being a bitch!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I hand wash a lot of my clothes and line dry. My SO has very dirty work clothes and if I hand wash they come out spotless. It's not sad at all. Clothes last longer and stay nicer if you hand wash and line dry. Money is not an issue for us.

It's sad that so many people think simple chores should be replaced by modern "conveniences".  In the end we have a bunch of people who don't know how to do jack shit....

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok.  I have a degree in math, so let's use it.

Electricity in the US averages $0.158 per KWH.  $90 would be 570 KWH of electrical use.

If we use as an example a 20 year old washer and dryer, no high efficiency modern models, the washer would use 1.1 KWH of electricity per hour assuming 9.8 amps.  The dryer, assuming a 240 volt heating element and 6.3 amps, would be about 1.5 KWH per hour of use.  That means together they cost approximately $0.41 an hour to use.

Since both a washer and dryer have cycles shorter than a full hour, we'll use 45 minutes as our cycle times.  That would be $0.30 for each load of laundry.

To save $90 (your low estimate) on laundry alone, you'd have to reduce you laundry use by over 300 loads per month - or over 10 loads a day - every single day.  

Math allows us to use common sense.  So how many people do you have in your home that required you to do 300 loads per month, and how long would it take you to do those 300 loads by hand?

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Quoting Anonymous:

So how muh money do you save by hand washing and line drying.  I'm not looking for a guess, but a real value that you have calculated based on experience.

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

I often handwash my clothes and I ALWAYS line dry.  I HAVE a washer and a dryer both.  Some of us like to save money every month and not only that, some of us are concious of being self sufficient or of the environment. Personally, I'm teaching my children how to survive on the land. Who knows if our simple conveniences will always be readily available.  Besides, saving money is a good thing, no matter if you have a lot of money or if you struggle.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I think the mom who said she saved $90 a month by hand washing would have to take too much time from her children and husband in order to wash and dry 300 loads a month by hand.  Do you consider it to be a convenience at that volume??

Quoting Anonymous:

I hand wash a lot of my clothes and line dry. My SO has very dirty work clothes and if I hand wash they come out spotless. It's not sad at all. Clothes last longer and stay nicer if you hand wash and line dry. Money is not an issue for us.

It's sad that so many people think simple chores should be replaced by modern "conveniences".  In the end we have a bunch of people who don't know how to do jack shit....

Quoting Anonymous:

SimplyEnchanted
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I never said I wash 300 loads a month, nor by hand. If you read my replies you'll see that I said I only handwash on occasion but I always hang out unless there are reasons where I cannot. I have a brand new washer/dryer set that is just under a year old. I wash and hang about 3 loads of clothes a day and sometimes more if I do diapers or when I wash bedding.  You can't just go on what the dryer uses but also how hot the dryer makes my house, forcing the air to kick on. I could send you my electric bills but I don't have to prove anything to you and I've no reason to lie. 

Also the HE machines run for about 60-78 minutes and it definitely takes about 45-1 or more to dry a large load of laundry.  I also never said YOU have to wash or hang out. Don't want to? Great. But there are plent of people that save money hanging their clothes out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok.  I have a degree in math, so let's use it.

Electricity in the US averages $0.158 per KWH.  $90 would be 570 KWH of electrical use.

If we use as an example a 20 year old washer and dryer, no high efficiency modern models, the washer would use 1.1 KWH of electricity per hour assuming 9.8 amps.  The dryer, assuming a 240 volt heating element and 6.3 amps, would be about 1.5 KWH per hour of use.  That means together they cost approximately $0.41 an hour to use.

Since both a washer and dryer have cycles shorter than a full hour, we'll use 45 minutes as our cycle times.  That would be $0.30 for each load of laundry.

To save $90 (your low estimate) on laundry alone, you'd have to reduce you laundry use by over 300 loads per month - or over 10 loads a day - every single day.

Math allows us to use common sense.  So how many people do you have in your home that required you to do 300 loads per month, and how long would it take you to do those 300 loads by hand?

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting SimplyEnchanted:

Quoting Anonymous:

Mama to five beautiful girls- Piper(11), Paris(9), Prue(7), Priya(4)&Kahlan(2) and two angel babies that were too precious for earth, Angel('09) and Evenstar('12)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM

BTDT.

Your clothes will wear out much faster that way.  And it sucks balls to pull a bunch of socks off the line only to find an angry wasp among them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)