Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm going to throw her out the window

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM
  • 24 Replies

ok not really but.... My Roxy is a Rat terrier. She is wonderful. She is protective of the house in that when anyone knocks she will bark and bark until they are in and pet her or I pick her up and tell her its ok. I DO NOT MIND THIS. The problem is, now that's its warming up and the windows are open she barks ANYTIME she hears ANYTHING. Neighbors pulling up, people talking outside. We live in an apartment complex, so as you can imagine, this happens a lot.

Is there anyway to train her ONLY to bark at someone actually knocking on the door?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorik1969
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
I feel your pain. My beagle mix lays by the front door just waiting for people to walk by so she can bark. I've heard of people using the shock collars but I personally don't like them.
katarina666
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Thats what terriers are like.Sweeties though.

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Yea I won't do anything like that to her. I LIKE that she barks when people knock. Sometimes I'm in the back and wouldn't know otherwise, or like when SO comes home (yes she still barks at him, but wags her tail the whole time like YEA!!! Daddy's home pet me pet me pet me lol) I know someone is here. But its annoying when she barks when the neighbor pulls up.

Quoting Lorik1969:

I feel your pain. My beagle mix lays by the front door just waiting for people to walk by so she can bark. I've heard of people using the shock collars but I personally don't like them.

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Oh I love her sooooo much. She is my first terrier of any kind and I am crazy about them. Shes super smart and a lover. If I have to deal with it I will. Part of my concern is she must be anxious about the sounds so I was hoping to find a way to teach her its ok that people are outside lol

Quoting katarina666:

Thats what terriers are like.Sweeties though.

OrangeBalloon
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Use a can of air on her when the barking is inappropriate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM

My SzuSzu is also a Rat Terrier  ~ recently we've had some changes in our life that includes various new ppl at our door and she was loosing it all too often. 
I started sending her to her bed as soon as she started to show any sign that she would bark. I didn't let her get up until I knew she was calm. I've also been "treating" her for her good behavior.So far, it has worked wonderfully and she's really been able to control herself. 

good luck! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Maybe one of those things that let off a sound every time the dog barks? It's a sound only dogs can hear and you can get ones with a remote control so you decide when it goes off. Push the button for bad barks, leave it be for good.

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Like blow it in her face or the kind that makes a loud noise? Shes smart so I am sure she would catch on quick.

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

Use a can of air on her when the barking is inappropriate.

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Go idea. By bed do you mean a crate? She doesn't have one but I have been thinking about getting her one if for no other reason but for her to have a "safe place" from the kids. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

My SzuSzu is also a Rat Terrier  ~ recently we've had some changes in our life that includes various new ppl at our door and she was loosing it all too often. 
I started sending her to her bed as soon as she started to show any sign that she would bark. I didn't let her get up until I knew she was calm. I've also been "treating" her for her good behavior.So far, it has worked wonderfully and she's really been able to control herself. 

good luck! 

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Never heard of that but worth a look

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe one of those things that let off a sound every time the dog barks? It's a sound only dogs can hear and you can get ones with a remote control so you decide when it goes off. Push the button for bad barks, leave it be for good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)