Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Blessed and Happy Beltane!

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM
  • 102 Replies
5 moms liked this

Just wanted to wish everyone a Blessed Beltane!

Beltane (b'yel-tin, bel-TAW-nah, or how it's often said in America: bel-tayn; our family has always pronounced it bel-TAW-nah), May 1st, is when the God and Goddess are young lovers and unite in marriage.  Some Pagans see that as a literal joining of a God and Goddess, while others see it as symbolic.

Some common customs of Beltane include dancing around the Maypole (which symbolizes... well, to be blunt, the Divine Masculine entering the Divine Feminine... sex), making crowns for the May Queen and Forest King, jumping over the balefire, and communicating with faeries.

There are two points in the year when the veil between the worlds is thin: Beltane and Samhain ("sow-en", "sow" as in "cow", aka Halloween).  While on Samhain, it is custom to use the thinned veil to communicate with past loved ones and other spirits, on Beltane, it is custom to communicate with the Fae.

My daughter as a little May Queen (picture from our recent Beltane celebration with our coven):

And a picture of my son during our ritual:

Blessings to all on this day!

pagan 2beltane

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Facebook.  Faery Moon Children's Coven.  FMCC Facebook.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I just love you guys!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

LOL, thanks!  That's sweet.

beltane

Quoting bowribbonmama:

I just love you guys!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM

bump

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Brightest Blessings! I still have to plan my menu for tomorrow (we have a "feast" on every Sabbat at our house") I've been woefully behind. I think I'll also pick up some pretty flowers for the table in the spirit of the occasion. I love the pics of your kids. Babies were often the result of Beltane festivals, back in the day ;) 

NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Quoting FoxFire363:

Brightest Blessings! I still have to plan my menu for tomorrow (we have a "feast" on every Sabbat at our house") I've been woefully behind. I think I'll also pick up some pretty flowers for the table in the spirit of the occasion. I love the pics of your kids. Babies were often the result of Beltane festivals, back in the day ;) 

Thanks!  And yes, they were! :-P

I'm the one behind my son in the second picture.  It was my turn in the coven to lead the Sabbat ritual.  Seamus (DS) cast the circle, called the corners, and called the God (I called the Goddess).  He normally does that during our Esbat rituals at home, but this was our first time leading ritual with other people there.  Quite an experience!

NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this

^My husband and daughter.

Seamus and me:

The "Beltane cards" we all made (the craft we did was make Beltane cards... like Valentine's Day cards... since this is a holiday that celebrates love and unions):

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Hey that's my anniversary
NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Happy Anniversary!  Beltane is an EXCELLENT day to get married.  That's what it's all about, afterall. ;-)

Quoting ebbierowe:

Hey that's my anniversary

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Aw, I bet that made him feel so grown up and proud! My DD does a dedication prayer at our feasts, but it makes her a bit embarrassed. She gets stage fright, lol. From what I've heard you say on here about your coven, it sounds great. I'd love to find something informal like that here, but the only groups I've been able to locate are pretty trad specific, and I know at least one is very formal indeed. Being an eclectic kind of witch, those groups aren't my cup of tea. There's a Germanic group I'd like to check out, not to join, but because I'm interested in learning more about that trad, but they don't welcome children (or maybe it's children under a certain age, trying to remember) at the meetings, so that means I'm SOL. 

Quoting NiamhWitch:

Quoting FoxFire363:

I'm the one behind my son in the second picture.  It was my turn in the coven to lead the Sabbat ritual.  Seamus (DS) cast the circle, called the corners, and called the God (I called the Goddess).  He normally does that during our Esbat rituals at home, but this was our first time leading ritual with other people there.  Quite an experience!

NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I understand completely.  Our coven is still pretty new, so we're still ironing out some... knots.  We are all from different backgrounds (in regards to Paganism and Wicca).  Some of us are from initiated, trad-ish Wiccan covens with decades of experience... some are as eclectic as they come... some are not Wiccan at all (our family is not... though my son recently told me that he wants to be Wiccan).  We also have different pantheons and interpretations of deity.

For the most part, that doesn't seem to matter.  Though we have had small hiccups (mostly when something is done differently than how others are used to or how they were trained, which I personally find more of a benefit than a problem... I like learning about how others practice).

About 6 years ago I was part of a Wiccan Fellowship when we lived in Hawaii... while it wasn't anything formal, I just found that it wasn't really for me.  I clashed with some of the leaders... and they had a sort of "this way is the only way" kind of attitude, which didn't go over well for me, lol.

Quoting FoxFire363:

Aw, I bet that made him feel so grown up and proud! My DD does a dedication prayer at our feasts, but it makes her a bit embarrassed. She gets stage fright, lol. From what I've heard you say on here about your coven, it sounds great. I'd love to find something informal like that here, but the only groups I've been able to locate are pretty trad specific, and I know at least one is very formal indeed. Being an eclectic kind of witch, those groups aren't my cup of tea. There's a Germanic group I'd like to check out, not to join, but because I'm interested in learning more about that trad, but they don't welcome children (or maybe it's children under a certain age, trying to remember) at the meetings, so that means I'm SOL. 

Quoting NiamhWitch:

Quoting FoxFire363:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN