Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

GOING VEGAN: DAY 1

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM
  • 34 Replies

So, I made another post about how I want to go vegan. Somebody suggested I do a blog about it. I figured I am on here the most so I will document my progress here in Mom Confessions : ) I know it's not the typical Mom confession type of post. But hopefully a few people will enjoy it!

Day 2 : I started the day off with a green smoothie. Made from , banana, parsley, Kale, and blue berries, and half of a lemon's juice. I have to admit, it wasn't that tastey at first. This is just a smoothie a threw together with the ingredients I had availiable. No recipe. First sip..ew. Second sip..still..ew. 3rd sip...mmm not so bad. I am actually really loving parsley. My breathe has been feeling fresh ALL DAY from it. My mouth feels...clean? Not sure if you guys want to hear the next thing I am going to say. But, my bowels aren't all that great yet. Still little rabbit turds. I thought for sure the smoothie would clean me out. I'm thinking I will add some aloe vera next time. Maybe it will help get things moving. Here's something that has been bothering me... I was going to go Paleo before all this! Well..paleoish. So my freezer is stocked with exspensive grassfed Bison and beef. A good...$200 worth!! I can't just toss it. My husband is coming home on leave in the middle of my transition. I also do not want my 22 year old to go Vegan with me until I really know what I am doing. I have to admit..I really don't completely..yet. So for lunch I made sphagettie and meat sauce (grassfed and organic). My son ate the meat , sauce and whole grain pasta. I just had the meat and spaghetti sauce. I had the same thing for dinner. Not realy a good balance but I just ate what I had avaliable. I am going grovery shopping tommorow for more vegan friendly foods. So my husband called me not too long ago. I told him I haven't eaten meat for 2 days. He mentioned "You're going to be a bag of bones and be too skinny" blah blah. HE was the one who told me he went to a factory farm himself and saw how the animals were being treated and he wanted to CRY. Sooo what happened to that!? ALSO, I am 168 lbs and 5'8. I can stand to lose some weight! He just sounded sooo selfish and not supportive at all. It was discouraging. He likes my "Thick thighs and nice butt". But it's not really about the appearance for me. It's because #1 I don't like how the animals are treated and #2 I really think this will be good for my health. I have fibromyalgia, I am bi polar, and have anxiety. I can tell these b vitamins are alreayd helping my mood. Until I talked to him of course. I really hope he doesn't give me a hard time when he gets home about my choice to go vegan! He comes home May 3rd. I just really need hsi support more then anybody's. So, I am going to bed feeling pretty discouraged right now. Oh and I had some blueberries for late ngiht snack. ( Sorry that was WAY off subject) lol.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 1, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Hmmmmm and I plan to do the opposite and go all meat!

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:05 AM

If it has something to do with your weight as to why you made that choice, going paleo probably would have been a better choice since throwing your body into ketosis results in you burning your own fat for energy.  If you are having bowel issues, the veggies and fruit in whole form is better than making a smoothie because what you are already doing is breaking it down versus allowing your body to break it down.  Doing a smoothie just makes it easier to absorb whereas eating them whole requires your body to burn more calories to break it down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2013 at 3:07 AM
3 moms liked this
I tried that once. My journal looked something like this:
Day 1: getting my morning smoothie ready. Kale , blueberries, spinach, strawberr.... Ooh! Bacon!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 1, 2013 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't think of it as taking away meat. Think of it as adding in all the healthy stuff, just take it one day at a time and do it gradually, eventually there won't be any room for meat or junk.
Try chia seeds in your water to help with digestion. And research protein sources. Quinoa is good and has about as much protein as meat.
.strawberry.
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm on week two of the vegan diet.  I'm confused, did you say that you ate meat twice today in a spaghetti sauce?  I think your reasons for going vegan are very valid but I would do more research.

LovelyCorrupt
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:11 AM
You are braver than me. I'm too attached to pork to try vegan. I wish you all the best tho. Keep your journal/blog so you can see the progress you are making, also tale pix and measurements and document them as you go along
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 1, 2013 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Vegan = no animal products at all.
You just wrote you ate meat in pasta sauce. That's not vegan!

I've been vegan since I was 10.
Try almond milk, coconut yogurt, lots of fruits and veggies!!
hgibsonorc
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I always start my day off with a smoothie. Carb up on fruits and add in greens. My favorite is oranges, mango and a Ton of kale and spinach. I also add ice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM

"I just had the meat and spaghetti sauce."???

How are you getting your protein?  I don't see any in the smoothie and you should be getting at least 80 grams a day with your height/weight.

I found when I was vegan I had to go very lightly on the fruits or I would GAIN weight.

vvinkyloafer
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Remind me again how vegans don't get protein.

Quoting Anonymous:

"I just had the meat and spaghetti sauce."???

How are you getting your protein?  I don't see any in the smoothie and you should be getting at least 80 grams a day with your height/weight.

I found when I was vegan I had to go very lightly on the fruits or I would GAIN weight.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN