Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

cheap rent or family? *edited*

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM
  • 44 Replies
So my husband and I came across a free mobile home about a year ago on Craigslist. We have been fixing it up and are only paying $250 a month for the lot fee. But now we want to sell it and go and stay with my sister because she recently started using Meth again so her life is spiralling out of control.
She has a 9 year old daughter and 17 year old daughter who has a 2 month old. The 17 year old has moved in with her boyfriend but the 9 year old has had to pretty much take care of herself.
My question is would you leave a place you own with an incredibly low rent to help out your sister?
The reason I am skeptical about the situation is that we have four kids and I'm afraid that pulling my kids away from a stable environment to the unknown until we get our own house might be to much stress on them. What would you do?
Oh, and before you say don't go until I have my own house lined up we will both have to find different jobs. DHS has already been called twice on my sister so I'm afraid she will lose her daughter if I don't help her soon.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you all for your advice. I realize now that so many bad things can go wrong by moving in with her. I realize now that moving in would not help. I was thinking maybe i could help her turn her life around by stepping in but she isnt ready to change. She is refusing rehab and will not let me take her daughter so I will just wait until we have a house and jobs lined up before we go.
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM
3 moms liked this
I would never move in with a drug user. I'd rather be homeless. Don't mess up your life and put your babies at risk because of someone else.
Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM
3 moms liked this

You want to move into a meth addicts home... You are going to take your kids there? You're a fuckin moron.

BeaTx
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this
There is no way I would put my kids in that situation. You could always offer to take her daughter while she gets things straight. Your own kids are your top priority, though. Good luck.
barrelracer1699
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Why would you want to take your kids to that type of environment? Why not take her daughter for a while?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 2:18 AM
4 moms liked this
Why not let the 9 year old live with you instead? Drug addicts can have a lot of baggage, including unpaid debt to drug dealers, people coming over to collect and so on. Don't do this to your children. Your sister unfortunately made her bed! Often drug addicts don't seek treatment before they hit rock bottom!
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:19 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I would get your sister into rehab and become the legal guardian of the 9 yr old and have the 17 yr old get emancipated from her Mother

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM
2 moms liked this
Uh no. Sister to rehab and 9 year old with me.
Sammybby09
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM
2 moms liked this

You should take her kid out of that situation instead of putting your kids into it. That JMO

qkristen5468
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I understand you want to be there for your sister, but no way in hell do you put your children in that type of environment. Honestly, just get custody of your sisters kid and throw your sister in rehab.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 2:24 AM
2 moms liked this
I would never do that. I was in a similar sitch. My sister was a huge meth addict. I took her kids in and let her do what she needed. She is now behind bars for 72 years for having a meth lab in her house that blew up. I have no regrets and Im glad I took the kids before something bad happened. To even think you should leave your house and put your kids in an obvious train wreck is stupid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)