Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Be honest...WHOSE fault is it if a CHILD is failing in school...the PARENT..or teacher ?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Or student ?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Replies (371-380):
Stefono
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

ALL 3, Every situation has its own reasons and avoidance's I think.My opinion ( if This Fits), 1. if a child is lazy its going to be hard.2.) if parent is not taking responsibility in helping child do more.this can be & lead to many problems for child and therefor parents as well ( who's faults that?) 3.) when a parent has tried to communicate with teacher and teacher is NOT listening and " just acting like they do ", well this leads to a LONG year as well.  These are only a few of issues that can make for a terrible , or not so good year for child to learn.

angelmj
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I know when I failed it was a personal choice, I was the one who decided to skip school, to not turn in assignments, to never study or take notes. My mother and the school did what they saw to be best to get me interested in school. If it was not for reassignment class or in school suspension I never would have passed. I don't have a issue with knowing how to do my work seeing how with out a teachers help I would make A's. Most people were confused by me, at first the school thought I needed help. My mother thought I needed help, turns out I just needed to be interested in my work or separated from socity and forced to do work by myself.
newwifenmom
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Depends on situation

celticgodess
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Way to vague to be a generic answer, but I think it is rarely the teacher's fault. If parents are involved enough they should be able to get their child moved from a truly bad teachers classroom.

Lorik1969
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Yes, that does happen. Sometimes you have to look at the big picture. If an entire class is failing, then obviously it's the teacher. But too many parents are quick to blame the teacher. Sometimes kids need more help than the teacher can provide or sometimes they just aren't trying as hard as they ccould.

Quoting Retrokitty:

I would beg to differ I had an awful teacher in grade 10 who taught us nothing. He ended up getting fired.

Quoting Lorik1969:Parent or student. The teacher only has so many hours to teach a lot of stuff. She can't keep stopping for every kid who doesn't get it.

Sometimes it's a matter of a kid just not trying hard enough. Sometimes it's parents expecting the teacher to be responsible for everything to do with education. My kids have tutors for the subjects they have trouble in.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 3:38 AM

It depends.  Did the school notify the parent and when as to their concern of the child being at risk for being held back?  Did they suggest or recommend tutoring and special remedial help?  Did they rule out a disability?  If they haven't done any of that and are now notifying the parent of their "concerns" it is their fault for not addressing their concerns sooner than now.  It's not the student's fault especially if they are very young.  There are more cons with holding a child back than with providing them with remedial help and tutoring.  There are studies showing the students who are held back are at risk for dropping out of high school and having self esteem problems as well as behavior problems and other problems. 

andreamarie
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

all 3 . One the teacher  and parent should be on the same page. They should be getting student extra help whatever. Student needs to take ownership and want to pass. The student needs to get focused and apply himself. Depending on students age they should be seeking help on their own.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 5:29 AM

This

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Depends on the situatiin. There are shity teachers and shity parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Depends on situation.

my4littlegirls
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Depends. I tried hard for 2 yrs to get my child tested for learning problems but the school waited till she was 2 yrs behind in math to start helping. I could do only so much at night with her because she would get frustrated easy and homework would take 2-3 hrs a night. Now homework still takes long but at least she is understanding key concepts easier with the extra help she gets in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)