Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

5 month old taken by cps because parents took child out of hospital for 2nd opinion

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

I saw this on the news this morning

Child was admitted into hospital 1 when parents didn't like treatment and diagnosis..so they removed the child aganist that hospitals advice and went to hospital 2.

Hospital 1 called cps citing neglect. Hospital 2 said child was fine and saw to go home withparents.

Once home cps took child back to hospital 1.

Parents filed lawsuit. Judge ordered child back with parents but they had to agree to never go aganist doctor advice again.

Lawsuit is now pending

Should parents be able to pull their children from a hospital aganist doctor advice to obtain a second opinion?

I think since hospital 2 said he was fine..he was fine. I hope the parents win and I can't believe they had to agree to never go aganist doctor advise. Sometimes you have to get second opinions.

here is the story. it is not the one from GMA but it is similar. GMA had video.

One California couple is celebrating after a Sacramento county judge ordered their 5-month-old son be taken out of protective custody and transported to a Stanford hospital in Palo Alto, News 10 reported.

The decision came one week after police and Child Protective Services removed Anna and Alex Nikolayev’s son, Sammy, from the couple’s house. The reason: They had sought a second medical opinion for their child.

The Nikolayevs can now see Sammy whenever they want and have control over the child’s medical decisions, but CPS will continue to monitor the situation.

“It’s like a special day for us,” Anna told News 10, a local ABC affiliate. “We’re like a unit with our son again.”

The Nikolayevs, a young Russian couple living in Sacramento, took their 5-month-old son Sammy to Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento when he started to exhibit flu-like symptoms. But when they arrived at the hospital, the couple became concerned about their son’s treatment, after Anna witnessed a nurse giving Sammy antibiotics – something a doctor had not instructed her to do.

After hearing their son needed open heart surgery as soon as possible, the Nikolayevs took Sammy out of Sutter Memorial without a formal discharge and rushed him to Kaiser Parmanente Medical Center in Sacramento, a rival hospital to Sutter. There, the child was deemed clinically safe to return home with his parents.

But just one day later, the police and CPS arrived to take Sammy from his parents. He was placed in protective custody, and the parents were granted limited visitation rights.

Now, by order of the judge, Sammy will stay at Stanford Medical Center, where he will get a second medical opinion. However, the couple must allow CPS to visit their home once Sammy is discharged, and they must agree to never take him from a hospital against medical advice.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/04/30/baby-taken-from-parents-who-sought-second-opinion-removed-from-protective/#ixzz2S39LDp57

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BEXi
by BEXi on May. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Doctors should not be ABOVE the law.

Im sorry, but im all about freedom of choice, especially when it comes to our own bodies and our children.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, that is ridiculous. Maybe the first hospital didnt think they were taking him to another hospital.

AmaliaD
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM
3 moms liked this

if hosp. 2 said child was fine.   parents should sue hospital number one.    for false claim filing and mistreatment of patients.    for over treatment.    and you have the right to get a second opinion.    i bet that ruling is over turned.  

EvaTheDiva29
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

cps are useless fuckers. and if i want to pull my kid out and get a second opinion, i will do so. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe. But once they found out they did and they provided proof hospital 2 said he was fine and could go home with his parents they should have backed off instead of taking him back to hospital 1

Quoting thenameshailie:

Yeah, that is ridiculous. Maybe the first hospital didnt think they were taking him to another hospital.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this

I think I need more info about the story. Like, why did the parents take the baby to the hospital and what was the baby initially diagnosed with? Why the parents wanted a second opinion?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM
They have filed a lawsuit

They were granted their child back but had to agree to not go aganist doctor orders.

Quoting AmaliaD:

if hosp. 2 said child was fine.   parents should sue hospital number one.    for false claim filing and mistreatment of patients.    for over treatment.    and you have the right to get a second opinion.    i bet that ruling is over turned.  

Ichthus
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

The whole thing is completely wrong. I've read articles on this. Parents should have the final say in their child's care, except in abuse and neglect situations. I hope the parents win the lawsuit and get full control of their child.

xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Second opinions have saved many lives. I can't see why he would order them never to go against doctors' advice as long as they are seeking medical care.

KRISTAL_WILDER
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow this post makes me so angry. There is so much interference from the government now we cant even raise our children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)