Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Plan B pill

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 100 Replies
Is now over the counter and readily available to our teenagerz(don't have one yet).

Is this population control?

Thinking more about it, I can see how teenagers will say things like "we don't need condoms! We can just use the pill!". I especially see boys saying that to convince the girl.

I'm scared that these teens will not know the magnitude of the situation. They will think it's just another convenient option. The words "emergency" on the box will be no longer have any meaning.

I know many will say that it's better than a pregnant teen or teen moms.

But, wow. The doors are being opened wider and wider.

I will admit, when I was 15, I got pregnant. I had an abortion. If the option to take a pill was there for me, I would have used it.

I'm more scared of teens (well, adults as well) not realizing that STD'S will only continue to be on the rise, especially after this.

I want to hear your opinions. I want to hear all sides. Please :)
Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Wow, did I really just spell "teenagers", "teenagerz "?

Lol
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

You do realize plan b is not the abortion pill, right?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Yes

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

i'm really on the fence about this...on the one hand, i like that girls have so many options that we didn't used to have.  

on the other hand, what if the girl has a condition that makes the pill contraindicated? handing out pills just doesn't seem safe no matter what it's for. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Actually, it works the same...

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

owl0210
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM
This is why it's important to stress the use of condoms in addition to using other forms of birth control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I think it gives teens a false sense of security. I think they should have to go to a doctor and get a prescription. I think it will make them less likely to use condoms as well. And, basically, I think it is sad all the way around. I don't think many teens will plan ahead and realize that the pill costs upwards of $50 to get and will just assume it is as cheap condoms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Huh??? She never said it was.

Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

The Plan B pill has always been OTC and available to teens the only difference now is that instead of being able to get it without a parent knowing before you had to be 17 now you have to be 15...it is only for the Plan B One Step the traditional two step one still has the same restrictions on it as it always has...my concern is that younger teens will start to use it as regular birth control and that isn't how it is meant to be used...also most states the age of consent is 16 so I think that it should only be available to those who are legally old enough to consent to sex

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM
That pill is evil. Ok, not really. The side effects are horrid. It screws with your cycle (which can require additional medicine to restart), dizziness, extreme nausea, etc. It's not a good option at all. Plus, it's not like it's super effective.

I think it's a great option for teens if a condom breaks. But condoms and regular birth control should still be their first options. However, it's up to the adults in their lives to have this discussion with them. Good luck with that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured