Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why Food Stamps are actually GOOD for the economy.

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 81 Replies
8 moms liked this

I know many of you feel that food stamps are a waste of taxpayer money because you see folks buying things they shouldn't. While I understand that viewpoint, I find it a little short-sighted and narrow minded. Have you considered the economic impact "your" tax dollars are having through the Food Stamp program?

Here's the thing: Poverty is not going away. Ever. The majority of people on PA aren't the lazy bums everyone complains about and hates. They're just people trying to get by and do the best they can. But lets forget all that for a moment. Why does the government want to get people on food stamps if they are eligible? Why do they encourage participation in the program? Isn't that just wasting tax payer dollars?

Not even close. SNAP is not just a black hole of tax payer dollars. It also acts as somewhat of a stimulus for our economy. 

So if you can't bring yourself to feel compassion for the working poor in our nation and poverty-stricken families just trying to feed their children, maybe you can feel a little bit better about the economic ramifications of SNAP. 

Quote:

In the USDA's Building a Healthier America reportthe agency concludes that for every $1 in new SNAP benefits up to $1.80 is generated in economic activity. Big business surely benefits but it also benefits their employees, the truck drivers delivering the food, plants making the food, and the farmer who produces the food. The USDA estimates that for every $1 billion increase in SNAP benefits, 18,000 full-time equivalent jobs, including 3,000 farm jobs, are maintained and/or created.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/in-defense-of-food-stamps/260176/

by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM
5 moms liked this

This is true even if no one agrees with it.

phoebe81
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM

BUMP!

LovelyMommy24
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I could not agree more. 

phoebe81
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

BUMP!

couture-mommy
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM
BUMP!!!!
Agreed.
ElitestJen
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM
7 moms liked this

Stimulus = bureaucrat speak for "false, inflated economy"

Food stamps have turned into a subsidy for Monsanto and Walmart. How about those economic ramifications?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM
6 moms liked this

Oh puhlease.

The economy would be that much better off if the people on food stamps had living wages, or a job in general.  All you consider is "FS vs. No-FS", instead of "FS vs. living wage", or FS vs. employment".  That is statistically short-sighted of you.

phoebe81
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

So you believe that spending money on products and services inflates a "false" economy? Can you explain how to promote a healthy economy if spending money doesn't work?

Quoting ElitestJen:

Stimulus = bureaucrat speak for "false, inflated economy"

Food stamps have turned into a subsidy for Monsanto and Walmart. How about those economic ramifications?

phoebe81
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I guess it comes down to the difference between reality and what we wish reality was. In an ideal world, I think we all can agree, everyone would have a living wage and be able to work and feed their families.

The government can't just say "well, this is how it SHOULD be, deal with it." They have to deal with actual realities and the reality is that there is poverty. There always has been and there always will be. We have an unemployment rate of 7-8% which is GOOD. We like it when it's low like that. But what does that mean? It means that there are 21 MILLION people out of work. There will never, ever be a 0% unemployment rate.

It's ok to want things to be how they SHOULD be. Working towards those goals makes us better people and a better society. But we also have to face facts and deal with reality as best we can.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh puhlease.

The economy would be that much better off if the people on food stamps had living wages, or a job in general.  All you consider is "FS vs. No-FS", instead of "FS vs. living wage", or FS vs. employment".  That is statistically short-sighted of you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I can see where this is true. I worked for a company before and once we started taking food stamps our sales definitely went up. Higher sales=more hours.

I was able to work enough hours to keep myself of PA.

The place I work for now, we are starting to take them in some stores. I hope we do start taking them, because for sure our sales will go up if we did. We are next to a Kroger and I see lots of people not buying food from us even though it's cheaper simply because they can use their FS next door.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)