Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

5 year old fatally shoots 2 year old

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 70 Replies
5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister From Leigh Remizowski, CNN updated 10:55 AM EDT, Wed May 1, 2013 (CNN) -- A Kentucky mother stepped outside of her home just for a few minutes, but it was long enough for her 5-year-old son to accidentally shoot his 2-year-old sister with the .22-caliber rifle he got for his birthday, state officials said. Little Caroline Starks died Tuesday in Burkesville, in southern Kentucky, according to Cumberland County Coroner Gary White. "The little Crickett rifle is a single-shot rifle and it has a child safety," White said of the weapon. "It's just a tragic situation." Kids and guns: 'These are not isolated tragedies' Starks' autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday, but the shooting has been ruled accidental, according to Kentucky State Police Public Affairs officer Billy Gregory. "The mother was home at the time of the incident but she had stepped outside," Gregory said. "It's just one of those nightmares -- a quick thing that happens when you turn your back." Gregory said young children in the area are often introduced to guns at an early age. "In this part of the country, it's not uncommon for a 5-year-old to have a gun or for a parent to pass one down to their kid," he said. The Crickett website features three different .22-caliber rifle models for kids, with shoulder stock colors ranging from pink to red, white and blue swirls. "My first rifle" is the company's slogan. Caroline Starks' death comes in the wake of two other incidents in recent months involving young children shooting others. In early April, a 4-year-old boy in Tennessee shot and killed a 48-year-old woman, and just days later, 6-year-old Brandon Holt was killed in New Jersey after being shot in the head by his 4-year-old playmate. ************************* How young is too young for kids to have guns?
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thetrollcat
by Meow on May. 1, 2013 at 12:38 PM

all kids should be allowed to play with guns. Its not the guns that is the problem its the kids but they do have the right to carry a gun and protect themselves.

STVUstudent
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Sorry... I see no reason for a child that young to have a gun, and I see no reason for a gun to ever be available for a child to grab... even for a moment...

beaugrl0824
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM
5 moms liked this

We are a gun family but our children do not have access to them. That is just freaking stupid

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't know why a child that young would have free access to his weapon.  I live in an area where children learn to shoot very young, but why wouldn't it have been in a rifle safe?

smartmommy1050
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I am all for guns as long as they are used SAFELY. In my opinion 5 is a bit young no matter what, BUT if you are going to teach a child to shoot that young then you need to lock the gun away from the child except when you are right next to them, helping them to use it. There is absolutely no reason a child of any age should have unlimited access to a firearm, regardless if it is theirs or not.
mom2_2542
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quoting thetrollcat:

all kids should be allowed to play with guns. Its not the guns that is the problem its the kids but they do have the right to carry a gun and protect themselves.

mom2_2542
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Obviously this kid was not ready at all for this repsonsibility. Parent fail.
sampson200
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM
A FIVE year old boy needs to 'defend' himself? LOL You're always hilarious, troll kitty.
Quoting thetrollcat:

babydsmommy18
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My 5 year old has a "my First rifle" He has also been taught gun safety. He knows we never point a gun at a person or animal. His gun is also locked up in a gun case with a lock and is only allowed to touch/shot/look at with his dad present. This is a tragic event but if it was put up properly this may not have happened.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this
God lord! Some people shouldn't breed! Why the fuck was the gun loaded and within his reach? That child will have to live with knowing he killed his baby sister. These parents are fucking morons!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN