Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it illegal to stop doing well checks at pediatricians?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 104 Replies
We have gone to every well check and they give us such a hard time about not vaccinating. I do not want my darling daughter vaccinated at all but I told them we would start around 2 years (she's 6 months) to get them to shut up. Every time they make me sign a form saying I'm not having her vaccinated and last time my pediatrician said "I don't see what the problem is, vaccines aren't some type of voddoo magic". But she did say she would ease up on the pressure some because now we have given her a "start date." I will not be vaccinating her at the start date though so what happens when we get to that checkup? Could they report us for not vaccinating though we first said we would? We have Medicaid for our daughter so I don't know if there is extra rules as far as seeing the pediatrian goes or what? We don't have a primary care doctor, I just see the gyno for my birth control and my dd sees the pediatrician for her checkups.

*** I do plan to keep doing well checks but I'm tired of being harrassed about our decision. I am afraid of what will happen when my daughter turns two and we do not let them start vaccinating like we said we would. There are other pediatrians we could see that belong to the same practice, we saw one other when my daughter was first born but she was an awful, mean old lady and literally made me cry on the way home :-/ I would like to find a general practice but have no idea where to start. I have insurance through my parents company but I'm not sure how to find who takes Medicaid children as well... I'm assuming just call around and ask but it all so daunting..
Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM
I think it would be worse to start at two and be given too many at once..
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM

it is in your child's best interest to continue to have well checks

mhaney03
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't do well checks.  we only go when they are sick and absolutely need it.  You could always leave the pedi and see a regular family doc for that.

daughteroftruth
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

you need to find a different ped for your daughter.  You need to find one that will respect your choices as a parent. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM

i have medicaid, and the doctors office hounds me until i make an appointment with the doctor,  my kids still get vaccinated and they are ok

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I'm not giving her any at all. I lied when I told the pediatrian we'd start at two because I wanted her to stop pressuring me about it for awhile

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it would be worse to start at two and be given too many at once..
koalasami
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Illegal no.  Stupid in my opinion though.  We do well checks to make sure the kids are on track physically and developmentally.  By not taking your daughter to regular appointments you risk missing something that you could catch early and fix.

jjchick75
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope not illegal. We stop the monthly well checks at 6 months and go every 3 months until about 18 months and then go every 6 months and once they reach 4 or 5 as long as they developing normally we stop them and just go when they are sick. Personally I think well checks are crap and just another way for doctors to make more money.  Luckily we've got a great pediatrician who supports our decision to not vaccinate, so that is never an issue for us. I'd consider looking for a new doctor.  

KayelynnsMama
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM

This.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

you need to find a different ped for your daughter.  You need to find one that will respect your choices as a parent. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)