Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

IDGAF if your kids are autistic or not! *ETA* *ETA*2

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 663 Replies
13 moms liked this

TEACH THEM NOT TO ANTAGONIZE ANIMALS!!!!!

I was walking my dog, Conrad. Yes, he was leashed. Well, my neighbors have children who are all autistic. Now, Conrad is a young white Boxer; he weighs about 60 pounds and is EXTREMELY STRONG. Anyway, the neighbor's kids were out in their yard and one of their daughters starts BARKING at my dog! She doesn't know my dog, hasn't ever really seen my dog, and has ZERO reason to this, just as there was no reason for her mother NOT to stop her! 

It was all I could do to keep Conrad under control both on the way out and the way back (I live on a dead end street; one way in one way out) because this stupid ass mother can't teach her child how to respect animals. And what pisses me off the MOST is if, God forbid, Conrad had gotten away from me and bit this little girl; the parents would have called the closest ambulance chaser to sue our asses!

Just because children may be autistic does NOT excuse the parents from parenting!

*ETA*:

Now that I've seen the conclusions people jump to, let me clarify:

NOWHERE did I blame the child. I absolutely lay blame with her mother, who stood right THERE and let it happen. No correction, no shush, nothing. 

Conrad LOVES children. *I* however, can NOT guarantee (nor can any pet owner) that he loves ALL children. Barking at a strange dog is equivalent to running up to a strange dog and petting it, or shoving your hand in it's face. EVERY parent needs to teach their child this; but I think parents of children on the spectrum have to be especially vigilant. He was tail up and playbowing the entire time this was going on, which is why he was hard to control; he wanted to play. He's a rescue, and has come really far in the year and a half I've had him. We're working on it, he's been trained; he just wanted to play

The children are usually in the backyard. On this day the front yard, WITH parental supervision. So, to those with children on the spectrum, why couldn't the mother have shushed her child? Or told her to stop? I deal with autistic patients daily; I give them shots and cut casts off them. (well, ALL patients really, not just the autistic ones) 

My feelings would be the same if she were a child NOT on the spectrum

To those with the children on the spectrum, thank you for understanding what I'm saying. 

*ETA* 2: To answer a few more questions:

I was actually walking down the middle of the street. (Again; dead end street; VERY low traffic)

I saw my next door neighbor out this morning. (This is in between my house and the house in question) and told him what happened. He rolled his eyes and proceeded to tell me how the parents were over at his house with their children. (my next door neighbors also have dogs, and old Rhodesian Ridgeback and a mixed breed) the children were jumping all over the place, getting in the dogs' faces and yelling, climbing all over them, etc. So, would it have been my next door neighbor's fault if the dogs bit the children? These parents clearly haven't even tried to teach them respect for animals and there's no doubt in my mind it would be this way even if these children weren't autistic. 

by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM
36 moms liked this

clearly you have not worked with autistic children before

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on May. 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you but have rude comments about parents not parenting :)

Aslen
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

You now that for sure? I have dealt with autistic children in several different instances. Tell me WHY this mother couldn't have tried to teach her daughter NOT to antagonize a strange dog?

Aslen
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Quoting bustybee:

I agree with you but have rude comments about parents not parenting :)

parenting=parents yes?

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM
7 moms liked this

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

You now that for sure? I have dealt with autistic children in several different instances. Tell me WHY this mother couldn't have tried to teach her daughter NOT to antagonize a strange dog?

Maybe the situation hasn't come up? Maybe there are other issues that are higher up on their priority list?

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM
10 moms liked this
Maybe they just don't understand? Not saying its your fault but my dog doesn't lunge when kids bark at her. Just saying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
36 moms liked this

How about you having your dog properly trained, so he won't act  out?

Aslen
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Maybe the situation hasn't come up? Maybe there are other issues that are higher up on their priority list?

Fine. Then don't try to sue my ass when my dog comes after your kid for antagonizing it. (you=general) that's a HUGE safety issue, and if I had an autistic child, it would be one of the very things I would work on

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
69 moms liked this
I must be confused...you are criticizing parents of a severely disabled child who is playing in HER yard because you cannot control your dog when noises are made at it?

Someone is screwing up here, but I think it is the person who needs to train their dog.
Mommy2b2many
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM
7 moms liked this

okay.. Its obvious you don't have much experience with children who are autistic.... unless you're just uptight. She was PLAYING! In HER yard... Would you have had this problem if the child was not autistic? What if it had been a dog barking not a child?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)