Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/o Should Medicaid require pediatric vaccinations?

Posted by   + Show Post
Saw someone say this in another post. Wanna see how many agree. Do you think Medicaid should require children be vaccinated to stay in the program?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Replies (271-280):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I had responded to someone else who kind of asked that question but I had said that there is not going to be 100% effectiveness of course but from a money and business standpoint an insurance company will probably find that the money they have to pay out for the exceptions like you mentioned is going to end up being far less than if they have to pay for lots of people who get sick who aren't vaccinated in the event a disease sweeps through the population. I had said somethign like if 100 people get vaccinated and 3 (or even ten)  are exceptions and have a reaction or vaccine injury, or even if the vacine fails and they get the disease, paying for 3 people's more involved medical issues is probably going to be cheaper than paying for 100.  Perhaps if people have a medical condition that may cause further health problems if they receive a vaccine, that could be an exception but I was just talking generally. I wasn't getting into every "what if" situation in one post.

Quoting harehelper:

What about medical bills from a vaccine reaction or a weakened immune system?

Quoting Anonymous:

If they are trying to prevent having to pay even bigger bills later when the kids get deathly sick from getting a preventable disease then, from a business standpoint, yes they should. But from a parental control standpoint no they shouldn't.

bad_mama2011
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM

No.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

or  you can provide a signed waiver.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because if you say no, they tell you that you have 30 days to get some kind of catch up schedule in place that you can prove from the doctor.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Anonymous:

Many states already do. I know when I applied in Michigan and then in Arizona they ask if vaccinations are up to date.

Since when does asking a question=requiring?

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on May. 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM
S you feel that the government should dictate citizens medical care? Do you feel that parents who do not receive medicaid should be forced to vaccinate. What about those in the army? Do y feel that medical procedures should be forced on them as well (i realize they have to get certain vaccines to go overseas and such)? What about the elderly who are on medicare? Should things be forced on them as well?

Quoting thenameshailie:

This is not even the same thing at all. No one is going to die from having an intact penis. No one will be paralyzed from adhd. People will die from diphtheria. People will be paralyzed from polio.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

People absolutely should take preventive measures it they cant afford the family they already have. However that shouldn't give the government permission to force medications or medical procedures. Would it be ok if they forced Ritalin ( i know i spelled that wrong) on kids with adhd? Or forced circumcision?

Quoting thenameshailie:

I am not sure about the depo shot exactly, but I do think that there must be a way to prevent people who cannot afford children from having them. I mostly just feel that if the state is paying your medical cost, you should take efforts to keep those costs low and follow any procedural recommendations that they have. This is not only directed towards birth control but also complete lifestyle changes. Proper oral hygiene, healthy eating habits...everything. The vaccinations and birth control are the only options that even have a chance of being enforced though. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Do you REALLY think forcing the depo shot is a good idea?

Quoting thenameshailie:

I suppose the only logical form would be the depo shot. Its the only one that could be enforced.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

How do you think they should go about forcing birth control?

Quoting thenameshailie:

Yes and all adult woman should be required to be on birth control. Any thing to prevent a medical procedure in the future that the state will be paying for.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Yes to those in the army, no to anyone who is not receiving public assistance, yes to anyone receiving public assistance.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

S you feel that the government should dictate citizens medical care? Do you feel that parents who do not receive medicaid should be forced to vaccinate. What about those in the army? Do y feel that medical procedures should be forced on them as well (i realize they have to get certain vaccines to go overseas and such)? What about the elderly who are on medicare? Should things be forced on them as well?

Quoting thenameshailie:

This is not even the same thing at all. No one is going to die from having an intact penis. No one will be paralyzed from adhd. People will die from diphtheria. People will be paralyzed from polio.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

People absolutely should take preventive measures it they cant afford the family they already have. However that shouldn't give the government permission to force medications or medical procedures. Would it be ok if they forced Ritalin ( i know i spelled that wrong) on kids with adhd? Or forced circumcision?

Quoting thenameshailie:

I am not sure about the depo shot exactly, but I do think that there must be a way to prevent people who cannot afford children from having them. I mostly just feel that if the state is paying your medical cost, you should take efforts to keep those costs low and follow any procedural recommendations that they have. This is not only directed towards birth control but also complete lifestyle changes. Proper oral hygiene, healthy eating habits...everything. The vaccinations and birth control are the only options that even have a chance of being enforced though. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Do you REALLY think forcing the depo shot is a good idea?

Quoting thenameshailie:

I suppose the only logical form would be the depo shot. Its the only one that could be enforced.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

How do you think they should go about forcing birth control?

Quoting thenameshailie:

Yes and all adult woman should be required to be on birth control. Any thing to prevent a medical procedure in the future that the state will be paying for.

sweetmelissa777
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Because ppl on medicaid should have the same rights as those who do not. Just because they receive medicaid does not mean the state should dictate if they vaccinate or not.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why shouldn't it?

Quoting sweetmelissa777:

No. It is a parents right to decide if they want to vaccinate. Just because someone has Medicaid, it shouldn't take their choices away

Mommy2b2many
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

You can have your opinion and I have mine. My opinion comes from being a foster mom who has seen countless men and women on PA refuse to be on birthcontrol and subsequently have their children taken away. Now those women have NO children because they refused to use preventative measures. If you can't afford the children you have; you should wait until you are better off financially before having more children. That being said; I am sorry that you had such a devestating experience with birthcontrol. But as you said it was because you switched kinds. Birthcontrol in and of itself is not harmful; but their are ones that are more harmful than others.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not, I can no longer have kids becuase BC fucked my body up really bad at 25... My family was supposed to be big. I grew up in foster care and there was nothing more that I wanted outta college was my family to be huge...
You know how devastating it was? Is?
I wouldnt want to put anyone else in that situation though. Just because their having a rough time with money? I was only one the BC for one MONTH at the time. I was on it for 3 years straight before my son was born... and then I switch kinds after he was born and now I can't have anymore children. When I do get pregnant which has been (3) times it ends in a miscarriage because my uterus rejects it.

Quoting Mommy2b2many:

No... it should still be the parents choice...

I'm torn between whether BC whould be mandatory though...

DestinyRoseLC
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM
lol

Quoting bleumonster:

That's the way it used to be before they messed with it during the Clinton years when they were talking about the US going to a federal insurance. So our state decided to be proactive and ended up with our own unique version of Medicaid LOL.

Quoting DestinyRoseLC:

yeah, here medicaid isnt straight medicaid even for those below the poverty level. there is always a primary insurance. this is so once your income level has.changed you become responsible for co pays and so forth.

Quoting bleumonster:

Here you can get Medicaid for children as a primary insurance if you are below the poverty level. You can get it as a secondary for your kids if they qualify for other reasons. My kids have it as a secondary. Vaccinations are required in order for the kids to qualify.

Quoting DestinyRoseLC:

and neither are you then. i don't know how it is in other states but here there is no straight medicaid except for those disabled. medicaid is secondary and those whose income change pay monthly and Co pays. so like I said before you do realize that those on medicaid do work right?

Quoting Anonymous:

So? They're still not paying for their own medical.

Quoting DestinyRoseLC:you do realize people who have medicaid also work right?

Quoting Anonymous:If the state is paying for your medical care, you should lose those rights in favor of what's best for the state. Don't like it? Pay for your own medical care/insurance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on May. 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

If a woman can't take on the financial responsibility of the children they've produced and expects the government to fund them, damn straight I do.  Why incur added risk to the taxpayers because women are not caring for the medical needs of their children appropriately and they are incurring added taxpayer expense by allowing their children to come down with pertussis or scarlet fever. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

So you think women should have to sign there childrens life over to the government and be force to do something that may or may not affect that child long after they are no longer on assistance?

Kaseyrose21
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Except that injuries are few and far between. A few injuries are worth it. Especially when you actually consider the alternatives. Go spend a few months working in a third world country and it would change your mind. Especially after watching children suffer and die from preventable illnesses. Anti vaccers are some of the most ignorant people. Letting themselves be fooled into believing the extremists. Science has to get it wrong a few times before they get it right. That is the way it has ALWAYS been.

Quoting Anonymous:

thats because even back then reactions/injuries to the vaccine were STILL BEING DENIED!!!!!!  There is also peer reviewed literature dating back to those times documenting injury/reactions...AND, let's not forget the early polio vaxes were contaminated with SV-40, a monkey virus, causing cancer in the offspring of those who got the first vaxes of polio

Quoting Anonymous:

all of you are too young to remember how devastating these diseases were.  My parents told me there were NO anti vax freaks screaming when they found a vaccine for polio, diptheria, etc.  SMDH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)